Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

Neonate Baby Regurge

I'm guessing the situation isn't truly urgent, or at least I'm hoping it's not, but I need an answer fairly quickly so I know how to proceed... I had one of the babies regurge on me last night. I had fed all, only had 2 takers, but they were all covered in chopped up worm slime so I decided to give them a quick bath so they wouldn't be tempted to much on each other later. One of the two takers regurged while I was taking him out of the bath container. I went ahead and marked him with a silver sharpie so I can tell him apart & keep an eye on him. The big question is what now? Do I need to let his gut rest and for how long? Anything I should watch for going forward with this kid? Secondary question is how do you keep babies clean enough that they don't smell like prey items or is it not really an issue?

Thanks from a nervous new mommy!
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.

Re: Neonate Baby Regurge

I don't think the regurge is a big deal. Some babies are more easily stressed then others.
    Never had any trouble with food scented babies. They usually keep themselves pretty clean in the water dish.
    Not sure about the sharpie. I would be concerned about the chemicals on the skin.

SHARPIE FINE POINT
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

I know, I was worried about the sharpie as well, but being as these guys all look nearly exactly alike I wanted to be able to track that one... in an instant decision it was either sharpie or nail polish. We write on little kiddos with sharpies at swim events... but of course they have a much bigger skin surface. I've seen puppies marked with nail polish, but again, bigger surface area and mammals as opposed to reptiles. The sharpie dries nearly instantly and shouldn't be soaking through the scales/skin. I hope. Anyway... glad you're not too worried about the regurge. I'm on a quest to find feeder guppies today. If I succeed do you think it's ok to offer him food again today along with the others or should I wait a bit with him?
    Tami

Was just doing some googling on the use of sharpies, because I know I've heard of them being used before... not sure if it's kosher to post links to other forums here, but it seems to be accepted as harmless. Just fyi... I was curious as well
    Tami

I worry about all the chemicals that come in contact with my snakes. Especially petroleum based products.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

I think the regurgitation was probably due to handling the babies and the stress of the bath right after eating. It's best not to handle snakes right after they eat because it can cause them to regurgitate a meal. No biggie...now you know for future reference.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

It had crossed my mind as well, especially with a newborn, but it was either mark him somehow or separate him. Seeing as they are always piled together I figure they must take some sort of comfort in grouping together... I dunno, I hear you Steve and I did think it through quickly, but decided to go for it. People use them on delicate reptile eggs all the time and they have been used to mark reptiles in field study programs with the only drawback being the short time the mark stays visible due to shedding. That works for me and is what I was counting on. If you want to do your own research I googled 'marking reptiles with a sharpie' and am working my way through the first page of results. I did skip the reptiles canada results as a few were to do with a snake named sharpie
    Tami

Quote Originally Posted by EasternGirl View Post
    I think the regurgitation was probably due to handling the babies and the stress of the bath right after eating. It's best not to handle snakes right after they eat because it can cause them to regurgitate a meal. No biggie...now you know for future reference.
    Thanks EasternGirl. I did know this, but was worried about them all smelling like worm. I take it it's really not an issue?
    Tami

Well, I suppose it could be...but...I have never had it become an issue. My snow radix, Possum actually rolls around in his food until he is covered in it and then I always put him back in with Hermes and it has never been a problem. My babies also crawl around all over their worm dish...and they eat together and then they are together right after eating...have never had a problem there either. I would just suggest watching them for a little bit after you feed them. And you can call me Marnie.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Thanks Marnie
    Tami