Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Adjusting Lights With Daylight

Does anyone change their light timers to match the changes in daylight from season to season? I just realized the other day my snakes light was staying on after dark so I've set it back 30 minutes, and fixed the morning time as well. Does this really matter too much?
    ~* Emily *~
    Canis lupus familiaris- Tippy, Thamnophis proximus orarius- Proximus, Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis- Tallie

Adult snake

Re: Adjusting Lights With Daylight

It might affect when they go off food for brumation. If you're trying to avoid brumating, I'd suggest keeping the lights on until you go to bed.
    Not that Steve, a different Steve

Ahh, I see. Is there any reason that they need to be brumated, if you're not going to breed them?
    ~* Emily *~
    Canis lupus familiaris- Tippy, Thamnophis proximus orarius- Proximus, Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis- Tallie

Quote Originally Posted by ProXimuS View Post
    Ahh, I see. Is there any reason that they need to be brumated, if you're not going to breed them?
    If they stop eating Iv'e heard that a short brumation will get them back on track.
    Will

"Preparing For Fourth shed" snake man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ProXimuS View Post
    You don't need to brumate to breed do you? As opposed to waiting till spring?
    0.1 Red axanthic x red radix

Quote Originally Posted by snake man View Post
    During the brumation period the snakes produce sex cells therefore increases fertility also it's a natural cue for them to breed just after a cool period.
    Will

I only have a timer on one of my tanks at the moment. I have to get more when I can afford them. But yes, with that one, I do change the timer according to when the sun comes up and sets with the different seasons. The lights on the other tanks I just basically turn on and off myself around the same time that the timer works on the one tank, for now.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

Keeping the lights on the same schedule as they have been all summer should keep them active and eating through winter. If you find that's not working... and sometimes it doesn't. They just seem to still know it's winter... then you can cut back on the lighting, leaving them off all together until early spring, or you can offer them a short brumation and then back to the same light schedule. I just wait my kids out and I've had my first guy for 10 years now. They do stop eating and I do take all extra light & heat away, but I don't do a true brumation. Hope that helps.
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.

Thanks yall! I guess for now I'll just leave the light where it's at and see what happens.
    ~* Emily *~

Adult snake

Quote Originally Posted by snake man View Post
    Males will do their thing without brumating, but you increase your chances (and their fertility) by cooling them down. Females can hold the sperm but may not ovulate without simulating the change in seasons.

I believe when I purchased my garters, the instructions were to drop the breeders down to 60 degrees and turn the lights out for just a month or two. If your house gets chilly in the winter, putting the tank on the floor with a towel over it might be enough. Basements are also an option if they don't get too cold.
    Not that Steve, a different Steve