Thread: sphagnum moss

sphagnum moss

I saw a block of this at my local feed store the other day while picking up some bedding for the snakes and potting soil for our mint plants. It was about 12x12x6. They wanted $4.99 for it, and it was packaged in a light proof plastic. Is this what everyone is talking about, and if so, it's this a good price?
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

"Preparing For Fourth shed" Spankenstyne's Avatar

Re: sphagnum moss

That's a pretty good price, was it the compressed Chilean double milled Sphagnum? We pay double or more for the same up here.
    Chris

I'm not sure I didn't look at very long. I'll check it out better next time.
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Stuff I use comes in solid blocks about that size and last for months. Can't really comment on price, but if you converted to pounds its in the same ballpark as I paid last time.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

"Fourth shed, A Success" thamneil's Avatar

That's a great price! Just check the quality of sphagnum first to make sure it meets your standard.
    Neil
    The Thamnophis Aficionado

Do you really need to buy sphagnum moss?My marcianus does fine with a damp paper towel for a shedding hide. Or is their an advantage to sphagnum moss I've over looked?
    Will

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by -MARWOLAETH- View Post
    Do you really need to buy sphagnum moss?My marcianus does fine with a damp paper towel for a shedding hide. Or is their an advantage to sphagnum moss I've over looked?
    I don't think there's a "need", but I seem to remember reading about some antiseptic properties for sphagnum. Plus sphagnum just needs to be kept moist and it lasts for ages.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

"Preparing For Fourth shed" Spankenstyne's Avatar

Sphagnum lasts a very long time & holds humidity while resisting mould. Does one "need it"? No, there are countless ways to get similar results but I find it works great for my humid hides & also lay bins for other snakes. A couple of inches of it lets them crawl in & around it while staying clean.
    Chris

Thanks for the input guys. I think I may pick some up next time I get bedding. Adira my albino checkered seems to have issues with her sheds mostly the tail end. I thought if i kept a moist hide in there all the time, (since I can never tell when she is about to shed) that it would help her.
    Kat