Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "Preparing For Second shed"

racks with plastic enclosures?

I have seen these being used. Can anyone offer a good review of them, their use, the good points, the bad?

Re: racks with plastic enclosures?

I like regular enclosures. I think it offers the snake more room and more interaction with us. Also the babies seem to develop certain abilities (like climbing and holding onto stuff with their tail) faster. Just my opinion.
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

Smells Like Teen Spirit Invisible Snake's Avatar

thanks.

I think the more room the better for garter snakes. When possible give them as much as you can. The benefits are great.
    They are very interactive and inquisitive snakes. They want to see what you are doing and become accustom to see you and the things you do.
    My snakes come to the screens when I get out the one-eyed monster(vacuum sweeper).
    I am fortunate in the fact I have a large dedicated snake room.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

I had been considering a rack that uses plastic enclosures that are 36longx16deepx13high with latching lids. they are not quite clear, although they call them clear. The only benefit I can see is they are lighter weight. I actively dislike the less then clear material. I do not know if I could use lamps with them.

the other options for me a rack with front opening glass enclosures that are 36 longX16 deepX18 high . In either case I will have 20 gallons in a rack for individuals and quarantine. I only have space for up to 15 of the larger ones, and do not want to decide later I made a mistake. There is a little leeway since I plan on starting with perhaps 4 to start. I actively dislike that the glass can not have a lamp on it, and the weight.

However in the long run I wish to use the large enclosures to house my individual snakes, or perhaps pairs, so am going to simply start with the largest I can get and add additional if need be. In all cases I want as much information as possible before I decide. I also do not like having to make quick descions so I do research as early as possible.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

Front opening enclosures are much nicer in my opinion. I have only one, but the snakes attitude when approached for handling is remarkable.
    I prefer enclosures that allow me to view and be viewed. Garter TV is usually better than electronic media.

I personally use racks for the ease of keeping track of feeding and breeding while I am at school. That being said my snakes have more than ample room and I have them all out on a daily basis either around my room or outside for stimulation. I want to have them all in tanks but that just isn't an option while I am at school.

I've found in the past that my snakes all seem to prefer front opening enclosures. I think they all worry for a moment that I'm a hawk when in a top opening enclosure.

Mine have top opening, and they're all perfectly fine with it. No one really flinches when I open, unless I'm being stupid while trying to open the tank.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)