Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Humidity

Humidity

I've read somewhere when I first found my snake to keep it around 40-60% humidity in the terrarium("moderate" humidity). I've been noticing in this bigger terrarium I've got him in now the humidity is staying at 40%, so I've been misting the cage once or twice a day. It'll go up to 50-60% for a little bit, but not for very long. Is 40% ok? Or is the misting a little every day good? OOOR should I be misting more?
    ~* Emily *~
    Canis lupus familiaris- Tippy, Thamnophis proximus orarius- Proximus, Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis- Tallie

Re: Humidity

I'd mist more if the snake is in shed.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

Watch and see how the sheds work out. 40% is more on the low side but some snakes shed just fine at that humidity.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

He shed about a month ago, so I'm eagerly awaiting him doing it again. I was just looking at him a little while ago, and his eyes aren't blue/cloudy at all....So I guess he's got a little bit to go. When I see he's getting close I'll mist a little more and keep my eye on him.

Thanks guys
    ~* Emily *~
    Canis lupus familiaris- Tippy, Thamnophis proximus orarius- Proximus, Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis- Tallie

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Our humidity rarely rises naturally to much over 40% in the house. No problem with shedding here, but I do mist more when I notice blue eyes.
    The new snake room will have a tumble dryer in it, so that should allow me to raise the humidity and control a higher level by adjusting the ventilation.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Just put a hide full of sphagnum moss or damp kitchen roll so he can get more humidity when and if he needs it.Or a large shallow water basin so the water can evaporate quicker [your ribbon most likely will appreciate a good sized swimming pool]
    Will

"Preparing For Second shed"

I vote for a large surface area pool as well. Never had a snake that disliked that... some of mine used to swim to cool down in the summer... and a heated water dish in the winder was a treat for my old ball python boy. he loved that as he got older (bought one for large out door dogs with a thermostat.)

During the colder months, it is always very difficult for me to get my humidity up over 40%. So, I mist a lot and cover half to 3/4 of the tank lid with a towel to keep the humidity in. I also provide moist moss hides in the enclosures of any of my snakes that have had problem sheds. During the warm months...my humidity seems to always stay around 60%...it gets pretty humid in Delaware. I do know that misting a lot, keeping moist moss hides, and having substrate that is a little bit on the rough side...such as aspen or reptibark has made a big difference with my problem shedders. Hermes used to have a horrible time shedding...but with aspen, a moist hide, and misting at least once a day...he has been having perfect sheds now.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Dutch, bold and Thamnophis-crazy Thamnophis's Avatar

I keep all my garter snakes (30 - 80 specimen throughout the year) in very dry terrariums with always a waterbowl that is big enough for all the inhabitants to lie in. I never spray water in it and there never are problems with shedding. I do this for many years in this way and this has always worked well.
    What you can do is place a small closed box (make a hole in one of the sides) with a moist substrate in it. The snake can lie in it if it feels that it is necessary.
    It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner. Frank Zappa

With a moist hide, how long can you leave a damp paper towel or damp moss in there? I would be worried about mold and/or mildew. Change it every day? Every couple days?
    ~* Emily *~