Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pinkies

Pinkies

So I've got two questions about these:
    #1 How exactly do you go about scenting?
    My snakey is currently eating silversides, and apperantly isn't a fan of pinkies, so how do I scent the mice with the fish?

#2 Does any one know how the frozen ones are killed...?
    I was just looking at them up close for the first time, and they're even cuter in person I was hoping they're killed humanely, not just frozen alive.....
    ~* Emily *~
    Canis lupus familiaris- Tippy, Thamnophis proximus orarius- Proximus, Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis- Tallie

Re: Pinkies

When I scent pinkies with fish I spray the fish with some water. Then I take the pinky and rub it on the fish.
    Usually all that is needed is to scent the head of the pinky.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Yaay! I think I spoke too soon. He decided to eat it anyways. I was sure he wasn't going to eat it, because I put it outside of his waterbowl and put some fish in his waterbowl. He completely passed the pinkie like it wasn't there and ate his fish, then went in his hide. Then, I tried putting it in his bowl, and a couple minutes later he went and ate it I will still try scenting next time, just to be sure. Thanks Steve
    ~* Emily *~
    Canis lupus familiaris- Tippy, Thamnophis proximus orarius- Proximus, Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis- Tallie

Smells Like Teen Spirit Invisible Snake's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ProXimuS View Post
    #2 Does any one know how the frozen ones are killed...?
    I was just looking at them up close for the first time, and they're even cuter in person I was hoping they're killed humanely, not just frozen alive.....
    Most of the major frozen feeder companies/brands euthanize the mice/rats with Carbon Dioxide (Co2) gas.

Well, I guess that's not so bad... I still feel bad, and they're sooooo cute!
    But I can respect the fact that my babies gotta eat too.....If I didn't like him so much, there's no way I could/would deal with it
    ~* Emily *~

I'ts possible he went for the pinkie that was in the water because it smelt of the fish you put in their before,or he associates his water bowl with food so took the pinkie out of habit.
    Will

Believe it or not...freezing them alive wouldn't be the most inhumane way of euthanizing. I'm glad to hear that most companies use gas...but with freezing...they would just get cold...everything would slow down and they would basically go to sleep...it is actually a method used to euthanize sick snakes as well. Although the snake is usually cooled down in the fridge before going to the freezer. I am correct in this guys?
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

I'm 99.99% sure everyone used the Co2 method to euthanize feeders. I've heard putting them straight in the freezer is quite painful for them as ice forms in the blood. Pinkies probably wouldn't have that problem, but mice and larger would. When euthanizing snakes, you usually refrigerate them for a while before freezing. Of course, if they're at the very end and just barely alive, the cold would probably finish them off before ice started forming. I hate talking about putting animals down, but sometimes it has to be done.
    mike

Right...and it seems much more humane than other ways I have heard of putting snakes down. If I had to do it...and I think every snake owner will face it at some point...I would use the fridge/freezer method. I had no idea about freezing directly being painful though...good to know, Mike.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

"Third shed In Progress" kimbosaur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EasternGirl View Post
    Believe it or not...freezing them alive wouldn't be the most inhumane way of euthanizing. I'm glad to hear that most companies use gas...but with freezing...they would just get cold...everything would slow down and they would basically go to sleep...it is actually a method used to euthanize sick snakes as well. Although the snake is usually cooled down in the fridge before going to the freezer. I am correct in this guys?
    I definitely disagree here! It would be totally different for a cold-blooded animal and a warm-blooded animal. Think about all the things that happen to us when we get cold: hypothermia, frost bite, shock, etc. I think it would be much more humane to just chop off its head than to let it slowly freeze to death.
    kimberly