"First shed In Progress" twostripes42's Avatar

garter snake breeding advise

Well I've been keeping reptiles for a while now and I've always wanted to breed them. I did have a little bit of the breeding experience when my wild caught eastern garter snake had one baby (who unfortunately died about 2 months after it was born ) and I really want to try again when I'm expecting it and garter snakes.. correct me if I'm wrong.. seem like there easier to breed and raise then other snakes. so is there any advise on how i can get started, or if there are things i should avoid? anything really.
    ~ thanks, Fenn

p.s. is garter snake genetics the same as like a ball python? not in a hybrid way but like if an albino and a normal mate the babys will be 100% het. albino? oh and i really want to know what i can get with breeding my red phase eastern and what i could breed him to and get some cool looking babys. I currently have 4 snakes two Easterns (T.s. sirtalis) normal (unknown sex), red phase (male) and two, what I believe are, Maritimes (T. s. pallidulus) I think its a normal and a red phase, unknown sex. I will post pictures on request.

Re: garter snake breeding advise

You bring up a very interesting subject. Here are my personal thoughts.
    First and foremost. ONLY breed within a species and or subspecies. T.sirtalis to T.sirtalis. Eastern to Eastern.
    Cross breeding produces hybrid snakes and muddies the gene pool of the snakes involved. These hybrids are of no value in the hobby and must be monitored(no breeding) their whole life to be kept from damaging the gene pool any further. On the few occasions it has occurred(by accident) the snakes are less then both the parents in appearance.
    There are so many gorgeous garter snakes within their own species and subspecies there is no reason to cross-breed.

As I have only bred garters for the most part I can't really say if they are any easier then other snakes. I do believe you must be well prepared for the outcome. It's nice to have a snake that incubates the eggs for you and produces live young(Ovoviviparous) but keeping/raising babies is a challenge in itself. Having the proper enclosure and food is imperative. We have many threads that address the keeping and care of neonates/newborns.
    Keep in mind what you are going to do with the babies once they are born. Garters are capable of producing large numbers of young. Be aware of your local regulation with regards to releasing reptiles back into the wild.
    Search the forum and read all you can before taking on this responsibility.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

I wasn't going to cross breed, I wanted to breed my red phase eastern to another eastern but wanted the babys to look different so I was wondering what morph or phase I should try and pair him up with? I also wasn't going to start breeding anytime soon I still have a lot of research to do. Thanks
    my garters

1.2.1 T. s. sirtalis (Nagaina, Kaa, Naigini, Andrew and Scout)
    0.1.0 unidentified thamnophis (Philip)
    "AT LEAST I'M UNDER THE IMPRESSION OF DOING SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE"

I didn't think you were going to cross breed any snakes but wanted to share that information anyway.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

oh ok just making sure. thanks for the info
    my garters

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by twostripes42 View Post

I currently have 4 snakes two Easterns (T.s. sirtalis) normal (unknown sex), red phase (male) and two, what I believe are, Maritimes (T. s. pallidulus) I think its a normal and a red phase, unknown sex. I will post pictures on request.
    I'm terrible at IDing and sexing snakes, but there are plenty of people on this forum who are great at it. If you're unsure of the species/sex of some of your snakes, you might want to post pictures just to be sure.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Quote Originally Posted by d_virginiana View Post
    I'm terrible at IDing and sexing snakes, but there are plenty of people on this forum who are great at it. If you're unsure of the species/sex of some of your snakes, you might want to post pictures just to be sure.
    i will be posting pictures of my snakes soon,  i just have to get my camera back. I went out herping again today and found a decent size eastern which i believe is a female and may be gravid i will try to get pictures as soon as possible.
    my garters