Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Used tanks on the cheap

So someone in town here has downsized their snake collection and I am about to come into some tanks, hides, water bowls, heat lamps, etc on the cheap. I know 1/10 bleach/water is good to disinfect. The first tank looks much better than it did. but after this bath will everything need another one with just water? How long after cleanning should things air dry and can the snake go right in? Just imagine that you came into 6 used tanks and everything that came with having snakes in said tanks. What steps do I need to take before moving in residence? I'll try to post some pics, before after kind of stuff. I have 3 10 gallon, 2 20 gallon, and 1 50 gallon with another 50 gallon possibly coming if they decide to part with the last 50. Lots of the tanks have the zoo meds under the tank heaters attached as well. Should I trust that these still work or should I scrap them and start fresh? If scrap, is there a way to remove an old matt that works well? If I'm forgetting anything here, please feel free to jump in with anything, I've been up 23 hrs and not thinking to straight.

Re: Used tanks on the cheap

I rinse every new tank one least one more time with water before use.
    There are two trains of thought on the heaters. If they work, use them and save some money.
    Then there is the peace of mind that comes with new equipment.

If the old pads heat up then they should be easy to remove once they are warm.
    Get some sleep buddy.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"Preparing For Second shed" mark cope's Avatar

I would run the heaters for a while and keep monitoring the temps before putting anthing in so that way you should find out if they work properly, of weather they are faulty.
    Mark

Thanks guys! Part of the reason I'm trying to get this squared away as soon as possible has to do with a discovery yesterday. A gravid female was found in one of the many hides I check in the yard. (This is another thread in general) so I'm trying to get her setup and out of the ten gallon bucket she is currently residing in.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

I'd do at least a couple of rinses with clean water, then let them air for a day or two.
    While I was airing them out I'd be testing the heat mats, like Mark suggested. If they are working and maintaining a constant temperature I'd use them. Did you get thermostats with this job lot of gear? If you didn't... I wouldn't run a new heatmat without a stat, let alone one that came attached to a used tank.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Adult snake

As far as disinfecting the things that go into the tanks, I'm lazy and I'll put whatever I can into the dishwasher with just a little bit of soap, then give a final rinse in cool water. Bleach is still more effective as a germ killer, but not everything is bleach-safe. The water in my apartment gets REALLY hot though, so I think that takes care of things for me.

If you have things that won't melt, the oven might also be a good option if you can set it to 200F or so. I think anything made from real wood should be baked regardless, just to be safe.

Again thanks, it kind of sounds like, that unless I cut corners or take some chances I don't want to take with any snakes I'd like to call pets this is not going to happen as quick as I might like. So few hours in the day when your working 12 hr shifts and your days off here and there, I really wanted this to come together a little quicker, but more importantly I want to do it right. Keep it coming, thanks to anybody that throws their thoughts in the ring.

So on the 20 I'm trying to clean up right now the Zoo Med pad is on the side of the tank not the bottom. Any reason the guy would have chose to do this? Should I use it in this way, or just go with the heat bulb dome setup I have with this tank? Also, not planning to use any on the inside, but is some windex and elbow grease on the outside of the tank okay? The tank looks tons better with just one bleach cleanning, and maybe a used tank never looks new again, but I can't help but feel it can look better. Oh, this guy kept balls, corns, garters, and something else I can't recall right now. I have no idea who called this 20 home or how long ago. Should there be anything of concern that would carry over from the old tenant that I want to make sure I do in cleanning the tank? At some point I'll get some pics on here of this current project.

I think the bleach should take care of any nasties that might have been there.
    I can't remember but do you have any Provent-a-mite?
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    I think the bleach should take care of any nasties that might have been there.
    Not cryptosporidium, though.