Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Never shed

under tank heaters

With the under tank heaters I've heard it's a good idea to stick it to a sheet of aluminum foil in case of needed removable.
    is this really true? and if so do I just position the heater under the tank or use some regular tape to stick on the tank?

Re: under tank heaters

It isn't recommend that they be remove but I've found they come off pretty easy when they are heated up.
    Some that have been on for a long while may not come off in one piece as the plastic gets brittle. Those just need replaced.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Never shed

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    It isn't recommend that they be remove but I've found they come off pretty easy when they are heated up.
    Some that have been on for a long while may not come off in one piece as the plastic gets brittle. Those just need replaced.
    Well right now I'm gonna use a ten gallon tank and will be upgrading to a bigger tank once the snake gets big enough.

"Fourth shed, A Success" thamneil's Avatar

If you leave the adhesive paper on and tape it, you should be alright. If it doesnt heat up enough then I would just stick it on and accept the fact that a new one will be needed. I have tried the aluminum foil trick and it didnt work well for me. It can develop bubbles and become very hot to the touch.
    Neil
    The Thamnophis Aficionado

Subadult snake

I'm using one on my 75. I peeled the paper off, and stuck foil to it. Taped it to the tank with foil tape, sandwiching the thermostat probe between the uth and the glass. Using a mini with a tub the same way.
    Theresa in Indy
    1.0 T marcianus, 1.1 dogs, 1.0 cat, 2.0 skin kids

Never shed

Quote Originally Posted by thamneil View Post
    If you leave the adhesive paper on and tape it, you should be alright. If it doesnt heat up enough then I would just stick it on and accept the fact that a new one will be needed. I have tried the aluminum foil trick and it didnt work well for me. It can develop bubbles and become very hot to the touch.
    I'll try the heater with adhesive on, I've tried feeling for the heat and it doesn't too warm I even partially removed the adhesive and it feels the same warmth.
    So i'll just test if the substrate will get any warmer.
    Quote Originally Posted by tress29 View Post
    I'm using one on my 75. I peeled the paper off, and stuck foil to it. Taped it to the tank with foil tape, sandwiching the thermostat probe between the uth and the glass. Using a mini with a tub the same way.
    so the heater hasn't gotten hot to the touch.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

My heatmats are all just taped to the underside of our viv floors, and I have the thermostat probe and thermometer probes on the inside in the substrate. The temps inside are fine, but I rely on the thermometers to adjust the temp rather than the temps on the stat dial.
    The larger mats also have some support under them (aka folded card) to push the middle up against the glass.

None of the mats I've tested without a stat have got dangerously hot (they get too hot, but seem to top out around 35C which isn't enough to raise the cool side or burn), perhaps it's because they are attached to the outside surface of the glass and the glass helps dissipate the excess heat.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

Depends on the brand/ type.
    I have carefully removed the super flat sheet of plastic type from broken tanks and glued theņ to new tanks w silicon adhesive, spread very thin.

Purchased a new small sort of pillowy vinyl sandwich style heater that was supposed to be ok for under or side tank application. And it got so. Hot I couldn't touch it till it cooled. I returned it and got the flat style.

Test before adding snākes.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Selkielass View Post
    Depends on the brand/ type.
    I have carefully removed the super flat sheet of plastic type from broken tanks and glued theņ to new tanks w silicon adhesive, spread very thin.

Purchased a new small sort of pillowy vinyl sandwich style heater that was supposed to be ok for under or side tank application. And it got so. Hot I couldn't touch it till it cooled. I returned it and got the flat style.

Test before adding snākes.
    Yes. I test and keep an eye on temps for at least 24h before adding a snake to a newly setup viv.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Subadult snake

Quote Originally Posted by chris-uk View Post
    None of the mats I've tested without a stat have got dangerously hot
    I had a uth rated for 10-20 gallons get over 100*, that's why I always try to use a thermostat, or at least a dimmer that I check obsessively!
    Theresa in Indy
    1.0 T marcianus, 1.1 dogs, 1.0 cat, 2.0 skin kids