"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Normal timespan for birthing

So I've got a radix that has been passing a jelly here and there for weeks, and Marnie has CeeCee enduring a prolonged birthing spell.. From what I've read, if it's a good birthing session it's all over very quickly.

What's the norm with garters?
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Re: Normal timespan for birthing

When Mama gave birth, everything was out within an hour. Though, there was only a jellybean or two, a stillborn and 5 babies. Lately, she's been giving me a jellybean every week for the past 2 months. She seems to be completely healthy, active, alert with lots of tongue flicking. She also has been eating mroe than she did when she was gravid... Don't know what that's about right now, though.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

I would say most of my snakes give birth within 1 to 6 hours of starting with most delivering on the lower end of that timeline.
    Once in a very great while it has stretched out into a couple of days.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Thanks Chantel, it sounds like Mama and Adora Belle are doing the same sort of thing by throwing jelly beans over a month or so.

Maybe next year I'll get to experience birthing rather than radix jelly beans (although it will be Cuitzeo on the breeding list next year rather than radix).
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

From what I have heard from others Chris, most garters give birth over a couple of hours at most. Last summer when Cee Cee passed all of those stillborns...it took her 3 weeks to pass all of them. Now, with these stillborns coming out, she is still passing them and it's been over a week. I'm guessing it slows down when the garter is not delivering live young. I think the main thing to be concerned about is that they get everything out. Joe has been telling me to check Cee Cee's stomach regularly for hard spots and swollen areas...anything that looks irregular or like she is unable to pass something. I would just keep a close eye on Adora and if she starts acting odd or looks as though she can't pass something...then it would be time for concern. You may also want to talk to Joe...he had a snake who retained some jellybeans that he had to help her to get them out.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

So far, all the jelly beans are coming out soft and she's not struggling. I'll keep feeling her belly, so far no nothing feels odd.
    Chris

Sounds good Chris...let us know if she runs into any trouble.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe