Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    "Preparing For Second shed" mark cope's Avatar

Marthas new digs.......... (The build begins)

Hello peeps,
    Me and Joe started building Marthas new viv today.
    I stopped off at B&Q and picked the timber and bits

The good thing about B&Q is that they will give you 15 cuts for free, so I got it all cut to size there.
    Got some other goodies too vent,backing film, etc

First up lining the sides
    I used double sided tape to fix the backing film

Before I line the back I want to cut out all the openings.....And here I would appreciate your opinions,I didn't know the vents were as big as thet are when I ordered them,and now I'm wondering if I need to use both ...have a look at the pics below and let me know which you think is the best lay out for them.

A single vent in the middle

Two vents,one above the other

two vents,staggered

A vent each end on edge
    So there you are, which way do you reckon?....or if you can think of anything else
    As always your advice and expertise is welcome
    Mark and Joe

Re: Marthas new digs.......... (The build begins)

Tape is a "no no" in garter enclosures. We have had some incidences of garters getting caught on tape and ripping off skin and the wounds ending up proving fatal for the snake. They can also get tongues ripped off and all kinds of terrible things if they manage to somehow come in contact with the tape. I would recommend using some sort of glue for the backing film. Looks like you are off to a really nice start though, Mark. Wish I could give you advice for building...but my expertise ends with the backing film .
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Quote Originally Posted by EasternGirl View Post
    Tape is a "no no" in garter enclosures. We have had some incidences of garters getting caught on tape and ripping off skin and the wounds ending up proving fatal for the snake. They can also get tongues ripped off and all kinds of terrible things if they manage to somehow come in contact with the tape. I would recommend using some sort of glue for the backing film. Looks like you are off to a really nice start though, Mark. Wish I could give you advice for building...but my expertise ends with the backing film .
    She won't be able to get to the tape, there is clear tape around the edges, so she cant get to the D/S tape, and the clear tape will be secured by the top and bottom when I attach them....... besides if i tried to take backing film off it would probably destroy it.

Even so, they can and will find a way. There have been people that were 110% sure that the snake absolutely could not get to the tape, but it did.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

Yep...Mark, we always tell people, no tape at all inside garter enclosures. I had tape in one of my enclosures too...that I was sure they couldn't get too...the members made me remove it. Richard's snake found a way to get to some tape and died from the wounds it caused. If the tape should start to lift...which tape often does, and she gets under it, she could get her scales caught and rip them off...garter skin is delicate and it doesn't take much to do that. I think you might have to just get new backing film and start over...sorry to say. We just don't want anything to happen to Martha.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

The tape I used is carpet fitters tape so if I try to pull it off it will shred the backing film(which basically means binning everything and starting again) it is strong stuff, I believe it will grip the film well enough that the snake will never get behind the film, plus I have sealed the edges , plus when I put top, bottom and back on that will secure it even further.......but I'm heeding your advice and I'll check the viv every day and if I see the slightest sign that the backing film shows any sign of damage I'll make sure it's delt with immediately.

I would suggest starting again just for the sake of your snakes safety. Use rubber cement or something.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

Smells Like Teen Spirit Invisible Snake's Avatar

Good luck on your building project Mark! I wish I were good with my hands so I could build my snakes habitats.

Quote Originally Posted by kibakiba View Post
    I would suggest starting again just for the sake of your snakes safety. Use rubber cement or something.
    Bit pricey to be starting again ......But I have been thinking I will probably glue clear acrylic sheet over the backing film .....that should stop the film from ever lifting.

Don't trust that tape will hold. Tape on the inside of an enclosure is a disaster waiting to happen.
    I don't recommend tape of any kind inside an enclosure. I almost lost a snake due to the fact I thought nothing could happen.
    If it's in there a snake will find a way of getting to it.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee