Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

New Home Butterscotch

So, went out and got enough things to move the sweet girl from the tub to a tank. Nothing is concrete just wanted enough to get her going in more comfortable digs. The hit list so far: 10 gal tank, screen top which locks (plastic mesh mix) both Wal-Mart. Next we have dome light/heat source from above. (Didn't mess with the underneath strips yet because I'm not sure where the tank is going to be in the house yet). Some cling to the tank vine plants X2, the water bowl was replaced with a new one that could pass for a hide as well, (the old one was a Skip peanut butter lid and I placed it in as well so something familiar carried over). The substrate is still paper towel for two reasons. Still not sure on which kind I want to use and I'm still trying to monitor her progress. Towels are easy. I'm still not sure on rocks, logs, or other hides. Want all that stuff but for now its still toilet paper and paper towel tubes when they become available. No I don't have anything yet to measure temps, I know I need to but not sure on how I want that to be either, any suggestions?? I'll post some pics soon, all coments and questions welcomed.

Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Re: New Home Butterscotch

Sounds like a good start. I got my gauge from walmart. It's a temp (inside and outside) and humidity. It works well and it was $12.
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

DSC_1111.jpgDSC_1116.jpgDSC_1117.jpg
    A few pics, dome setup and bulb seem right to everyone?? She seems to be pretty happy with new surroundings. I went through a thread about red lights for albinos. Some do, some don't, is this preference or do we have facts on the matter?

Looks like a nice start for an enclosure. We know that albinos cannot be put under any sort of UV light for certain. It can cause burning of the eyes, skin...skin cancer, etc. So we know that you can only use bulbs that do not contain any UV light...and that albinos generally prefer it darker, and tend to be more nocturnal. As far as other lighting goes...members have preferences, I know that Chris uses a heat mat and LED lights with his albino, and Kat and I use red lights for ours...I also use black bulbs for mine...because they seem to like to climb up in their plants and bask under the light. My Iowa Snow Plains actually likes a bit of light...sometimes I turn on a lamp with a regular 40 watt bulb near his enclosure...not right over his tank...and he likes to come out in the light. However, my albino checkered doesn't like any light at all...he will not come out if there is any light in the room.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Good looking setup and an awesome looking little scrub.
    Glad you have it in a safe situation.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Looking good. I would watch that light being directly on the mesh top. If it is a plastic mesh and the light gets to warm it could melt. If you can suspend it above the mesh even just an inch would help.
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

Someone please look at the bulb being used in the enclosure (pic above). It is a Exo Terra intense basking light. On their website it falls under a incandescent bulb UVA. They make UVA and UVB bulbs. But because Butterscotch is an albino, I shouldn't use UV light. Cancer of the skin and blindness just to name a few issues. Should I change that bulb out and use something else? The guy at the pet shop said the bulb would be fine, now I'm not sure....HELP! She basks under it and seems to enjoy it but I enjoy chocolate and donuts even though I know its not good for me...

If it says UVA...it has ultraviolet light in it...yes, take it out...the UV is very bad for her skin. Don't listen to pet shop people...they never know what they are talking about. Use a red night bulb...she can bask under that and get the heat...she will like that. If she wants light, just use a regular LED bulb with no UV.
    Marnie
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

This is what I use for my albinos...they love to bask under them ( I use 40 watt):

Terrarium Lighting: Zoo Med Incandescent Nightlight Red Reptile Bulbs at Drs. Foster and Smith
    Marnie