Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Books mags

Books mags

I love being on the forum but we can't be glued to the computer every minute of every day. Are there any good books out there, something updated and recent, that covers garters? Maybe a magazine that you subscribe to? I know with modern tech being what it is who holds a magazine or a book (Kindle and the like), but I'm a big bibliophile. If I ever have as many snakes as I do books I'll be in trouble. Just looking for some reference material, maybe start a new section in the home library!

Re: Books mags

The Garter Snakes: Evolution and Ecology
    mike

Like Mike said.
    Wish there were a magazine dedicated to garter snakes.

It's on my list of things to do when my ship comes in. Anybody got any news on when the Titanic docks?
    Amazon.com: The Garter Snakes: Evolution and Ecology (Animal Natural History Series) (9780806128207): Douglas A. Rossman, Neil B. Ford, Richard A. Seigel: Books
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

I think it'd be cool if all of the forum members (who are interested) save up some money and we could all write articles and make a magazine.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

We're big book fans in this house, we have many more bookshelves than vivs.
    There's the book Steve linked to, but for such a common snake there's very little published for garters.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Quote Originally Posted by mikem View Post
    The Garter Snakes: Evolution and Ecology
    Just looked this up on Barnes & Noble website, looks AMAZING! We have a Half Price Books here in Des Moines, might add this to my search/wish list and hope it comes in. If not the Birthday is coming up, might have to redue the list for the wife. Thanks Mike. Steve, I'll sign up for a lifetime subscription just let me know when the boat docks.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan72 View Post
    Just looked this up on Barnes & Noble website, looks AMAZING! We have a Half Price Books here in Des Moines, might add this to my search/wish list and hope it comes in. If not the Birthday is coming up, might have to redue the list for the wife. Thanks Mike. Steve, I'll sign up for a lifetime subscription just let me know when the boat docks.
    I wouldn't bank on finding it in a half-price shop. It's not the sort of book you find in a shop unless they order it in. It would be a worthwhile birthday present from the wife. I bought it for "us" and didn't tell the wife how expensive it was...
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Found a brand new edition for $19.99 at an out of the way book store. It made a perfect gift.
    I of course asked if they had more then one copy. They didn't.

I paid over twice that amount for my copy.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Dutch, bold and Thamnophis-crazy Thamnophis's Avatar

There is a magazine that is only about Thamnophis. But it is for the biggest part in german language. Home: European Garter Snake Association (www.EGSA.de)

And look here...

Boeken « Thamnophis
    It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner. Frank Zappa

Here are a couple of others I found on Amazon...nothing compared to the bible (The Garter Snakes: Evolution and Ecology) of course, but they are a decent read: Barron's Reptile Keeper's Guides: Garter and Ribbon Snakes, by Bartlett and Bartlett, and Garter and Water Snakes, by David Perlowin. Another very good reference guide for snake ailments: What's Wrong with My Snake?, by Rossi and Rossi.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe