Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

plants - fake and real

okay
    here's the deal:
    my tanks are barren of greenery and while they have sufficient hiding and climbing places, more is always better
    I'm not fond of plastic and if you saw my one remaining fish tank, you'd see that I'm okay with growing live plants. Of course with aquatic plants there's no worry about their watering needs.
    I realize that with herps it's a whole different realm and I'm not eager (yet) to get into maintaining live plants that'll need watering
    I have on occasion considered getting a flat of wheatgrass and sticking in a tank. I've considered giving my beardie a potted chard
    considering is all I've done
    I've seen pics of many of your cages and I'm assuming that most of the greenery is fake. There's probably a couple of members here who do the live plant thing and will be ready to help when I get there, but right now I'm primarily interested in fake plant advice.
    Are there different kinds of fake plants and which do your garters like best?
    thanks for your help
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Re: plants - fake and real

Fake plants.. I have four different kinds in use at the moment and about half a dozen more somewhere. The good thing about fake plants is that they're easy to clean, cheap and much more durable than live ones. Climbing snakes can quickly destroy unsupported real plants.

I really don't think snakes care one bit what they are hiding under or climbing on.

There's a whole lot you can do with fake plants. You can wrap fake vines around real branches, to give the snake something to hold on to. Garters aren't the best climbers and might need a bit of assistance if the bark is smooth. Or you can drill holes in a piece of wood, stick a few fake plants into the holes and just cover the wood with substrate. I probably showed my hide earlier, but it's got tubes for holding fake plants. Pictures would probably say more than words in this case, I'll post more of my solutions later if anybody is interested.

I also find that fake plants make excellent hides, especially during transportation. If I try to put any of my snakes in a box without a hide, they'll launch themselves out of it in a heartbeat. But a 30 cm piece of fake vine is enough to give them a bit of shelter and that makes them much calmer. In my limited experience, that is.

hi rhea
    i've tried the live plants and didn't do so well, so now i use silk plants that i buy at hobby lobby or some other place like that. the nice thing about that is that, like stefan said, the clean-up is much easier and you have more options in how to use the plants. for example, i don't use pots for the plants, therefore not taking up floor space for the snakes.
    tina

"Fourth shed, A Success" Gijs & Sabine's Avatar

I agree with Stefan, fake plants are quite easy to work with.
    When we started with garters we did use real plants, but they'll destroy it and we noticed small mite-like creatures. Maybe they were no harm to our garters but from that day on we didn't take any risk and only use fake plants.

Here are some pics how we use them. We put screw rings at the top of our terra's and put the fake plants in it and drape it over the branches. This is really simpel and it looks nice also. And the garters can climp in it. Aspecialy ribbons like to be above the floor.

And like Stefan said I also don't think that garters are very picky in the type of fake plant you want to use.

I did something similar with my older terrariums, but I just pulled a wire through a small hole, around the plant and back out through the same hole. Sometimes I attached it to the mesh lid in the same fashion.

This is what I did with the hide:

that is a beautiful set-up, stefan, it makes me want to be more creative with my own tanks.
    tina

I agree with everything Stefan just said! I like his use of plants too, looks great.
    James.

that's cool
    I knew I could count on you guys to show me some really great ideas here
    thanks
    I do have to say, Stefan
    - I don't think I've ever seen the kinds of fake plants you have here, but then I haven't seriously shopped around yet
    and what's the substrate in that tank?
    it looks like dry leaves
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Thanks.

rhea,
    The substrate is a 50-50 mix of peat and dry leaves. The plants were really cheap, definitely not from any pet store. They sold them molded in plastic pots with something like concrete. Took about 2 minutes to get the plants out with a hammer.

Stefan, do you collect the leaves yourself? Do you do anything to clean them before use?
    James.