Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Guppies

Guppies

So like I mentioned before I was planning on getting a pair of guppies to breed and feed the fry to Manny. well I finally got them and took some pictures for you to see:

guppy_pair.jpgguppy_pair2.jpgguppy_pair3.jpgmale.jpg

And here is the tank I have them in:

tank.jpg

I've not put the stones in yet (they need a clean) but I kinda like it without and getting a little filter and a few more plants soon.

The heater is set to 23 degrees, I have some brine shrimp to feed them(getting some fish flakes when I get the other stuff) and the male has been following the female round all day he he

What do you guys think?
    1.1 T.s.parietalis - Manny and Olive
    1.3 Poecilia reticulata - Mojo and not yet named R.I.P Shushi =[
    0.4 Poecilia reticulata Fry - Snake grub =P
    1.0 Ampullariidae - Ernie R.I.P Bert =[

Re: Guppies

Quote Originally Posted by JodiLeigh View Post
    So like I mentioned before I was planning on getting a pair of guppies to breed and feed the fry to Manny. well I finally got them and took some pictures for you to see:

guppy_pair.jpgguppy_pair2.jpgguppy_pair3.jpgmale.jpg

And here is the tank I have them in:

tank.jpg

I've not put the stones in yet (they need a clean) but I kinda like it without and getting a little filter and a few more plants soon.

The heater is set to 23 degrees, I have some brine shrimp to feed them(getting some fish flakes when I get the other stuff) and the male has been following the female round all day he he

What do you guys think?
    one male to three females would be good. They look a little lost in that tank. You could have quite a few in there.
    ATB, Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Natrix View Post
    one male to three females would be good. They look a little lost in that tank. You could have quite a few in there.
    I know yeah! Shall have to find some cool little decorations and stuff to make it more cosy ha ha. I only had enough change on me for those two but when I go back for all the other stuff I will get some more.

Also I was thinking of getting a couple of another type of fish that can be put with them to make it more interesting but not sure what to get, will have a nosy, see what there is and ask the shop keeper what I can put with them.

if you get other fish, make sure they won't eat the baby guppies! maybe stick another small plant or two in there when you get the chance. that'll give the little ones more hiding spots. i've been thinking about doing this too. i need to look into it! so much to do, so little time
    mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikem View Post
    if you get other fish, make sure they won't eat the baby guppies! maybe stick another small plant or two in there when you get the chance. that'll give the little ones more hiding spots. i've been thinking about doing this too. i need to look into it! so much to do, so little time
    I'm going to get some small fish, maybe even smaller then guppies also I will be putting a divider in when the female is ready to drop so she is separate, then after the drop I will move her from the side with all the newly born fry to the side with the adults.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Light of Dae's Avatar

Yea you can get WAY more fishies in there.. If you have only a pair, it's almost not worth the wait. lol you could get a single male beta and about 3 male guppies n at least 9 or more female guppies. As well you could get some platys as they are safe fish to feed as well n breed quite well, again to the ratio of 1male to 3females. As for an algae eater avoid the cute little gold ones as they are mean n will take chunks out of any fish that comes near them. Get a catfish like one or the plain pleco.
    3.2 T.Marcianus, 1.2 T.Sirtalis, 1.0 Zacapu, 1.0 T.Radix
    0.1 Banana Cali King Snake
    0.1 BoxerXRottie Mutt

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

Get five females and a bunch of plants and you'll have a hundred in a month or two.
    Smaller fish will still eat fry if they can- the Tetras I had in my tank were like little sharks.
    Lots of 'fluffy' leafy plants I've found are the best protection for lively fry- ones that don't swim well enough to take advantage of generous cover are best culled early anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Light of Dae View Post
    Yea you can get WAY more fishies in there.. If you have only a pair, it's almost not worth the wait. lol you could get a single male beta and about 3 male guppies n at least 9 or more female guppies. As well you could get some platys as they are safe fish to feed as well n breed quite well, again to the ratio of 1male to 3females. As for an algae eater avoid the cute little gold ones as they are mean n will take chunks out of any fish that comes near them. Get a catfish like one or the plain pleco.
    I was told they would fight if I had more then one male, I will get another two females when I go back.

OH YES! I forgot about platys, I might get some of them then actually then he will ave a nice variety.

It does look bigger as well because it doesn't have any stones or other plants in yet, I'll see what it looks like with them first before buying too many fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Selkielass View Post
    Get five females and a bunch of plants and you'll have a hundred in a month or two.
    Smaller fish will still eat fry if they can- the Tetras I had in my tank were like little sharks.
    Lots of 'fluffy' leafy plants I've found are the best protection for lively fry- ones that don't swim well enough to take advantage of generous cover are best culled early anyway.
    Yes I was thinking that, I do prefer the look of the finer more dense plants then the more branch like ones. I don't think I will be culling as they will just be fed to Manny so doesn't matter to him whether they swim well or not.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Light of Dae's Avatar

They will not fight. There is lots of room, I have seen lots of tanks that were over crowed n still they didn't fight. You're possibly thinking about Betas. One male Beta will add an awesome splash of color, I've seen it work just fine in multiple tanks. Pet stores keep LOTS of males together without them fighting, The only way I could see there being an issue is if you reversed the ratio n had 3males to 1 female. I could see that as n issue. But so long as there are lots of females to go around, the men share just fine.

Just remember, male fish are like wh0res, they like a variety of women at there disposal.

The male fish views his females as 'Lays' chips, can't have just one!
    3.2 T.Marcianus, 1.2 T.Sirtalis, 1.0 Zacapu, 1.0 T.Radix
    0.1 Banana Cali King Snake
    0.1 BoxerXRottie Mutt