Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Where does it all go?

rhetorical question ... the answer is .... somewhere.

Actually I just spent a few days accounting of sorts. I completely cleaned up my hotmail account and compiled a databank on my snake-related expenses (including estimated electricity use, etc). It appears that since 2007 I have spent approximately £3532.69 on my snakey friends.

The scary thing is that over the same period simple cat maintenance for one little cat has cost me even more!!! I estimate £4000+ ...

Moral of the story ... sell cat - buy more snakes

Joking, of course.
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

Re: Where does it all go?

About €6000-7000 since 1990 or 1991. That includes animals, transportation costs, lamps, heat pads and cables, tubs, boxes, tweezers, tongs, literature, food, dietary supplements, substrates etc. The electricity currently costs about €160 per year.

I made an almost complete list of the costs in October, when this topic came up on another forum, but now I can't find it.

i don't even want to think about what i've spent at least $500 since the beginning of the year. and it's only at the end of february. /cry
    mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikem View Post
    i don't even want to think about what i've spent at least $500 since the beginning of the year. and it's only at the end of february. /cry
    Word.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Steve's probably spent well over $10k
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Threads like this can never come to any good.

Made me think though. Having only started spending money on snakes in September it's relatively easy to tot up the costs in my head. The starting up period has got to be the most expensive, getting vivs setup with heat, stats, plants, hides, bowls, etc. That's before we get to the snakes themselves. So totals up to somewhere between £750 and £850 since September.

Greg is right about the cat though, he cost me about £450 in August alone. His running costs are around £75/month (he has a urinary condition which needs medicated food once a day), so the cat has cost more than the snakes.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

I spent $50 today alone to get ready for the new one. Repti bark isn't cheap, plus a new water dish and a red light. I wanted to see her though and she would get lost in the aspen.
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

Yeah...seriously, $70 today alone just to get ready for the new one...and I also bought some other things the other day for him...so probably $80 for him alone so far...and I know I have spent a couple of thousand in the past two years...when you look at all the costs combined for tanks, substrate, food, plants, hides, electricity, add in a couple of vet bills. Oh lord...add in my dog, my cats, the guinea pigs...I know I'm up over $5,000 in two years easy. My dog had one vet bill that was like $600. I'm always complaining I have no money...I should just feed my animals my money...less shopping...
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

fill their bowls up with loose change. that way you can reuse it after they're...*ahem*...done with it.

my poor cat had a bad year back in 2010. early in the year he had a uti that took a couple visits to clear up. then, he had to have a blood transfusion in august of that year. those aren't cheap. but he's worth it. he's my little grey shadow.
    mike

Well...I think the guinea pigs might have mites and the dog needs his "misters" chopped off (sorry fellows)...he is overdue and getting quite snippy. Luckily, I have insurance that will cover the dog...
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe