Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

Traveling... what about my baby?

I'm traveling to VA in 2 days... it's only a few days gone and I know my adult snake will be fine... but what about my baby snake? It will exceed his feeding schedule. Should I take him?

I'm also asking because I may be going somewhere for a whole week soon...

"Preparing For Third shed" Sonya610's Avatar

Re: Traveling... what about my baby?

Quote Originally Posted by RedSidedSPR View Post
    I'm traveling to VA in 2 days... it's only a few days gone and I know my adult snake will be fine... but what about my baby snake? It will exceed his feeding schedule. Should I take him?

I'm also asking because I may be going somewhere for a whole week soon...
    You had best find a RESPONSIBLE person to feed him and do it darn quick. Tell the responsible person exactly what to do, chop up the food and keep it frozen in meal size portions ahead of time, and write down EXACT feeding instructions too.

If you have a friend that can do this that would be great, show him how you feed before you leave. Take all the guesswork OUT of it. You would be wise to tell them NOT to handle the snake or remove him from his enclosure as well.

The stress of taking him would be worrisome unless it is just a very short trip and you can bring his setup with you.

Juvenile snake

Assuming temperature conditions are OK, I think 2-3 days without feeding wouldn't be a problem.

Personally, I'm sure he could handle going a week without food. When I'm really busy, depressed, or having some other problem and cant feed my snakes, the babies go without food that week. They do fine, they just have the tenancy to go crazy then they smell food when I can feed them.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

Banned

Two days is nothing. Just make sure everyone has plenty of water.

Quote Originally Posted by kibakiba View Post
    Personally, I'm sure he could handle going a week without food.
    Easily. Just feed them very well (rodents if possible) in the days before hand then don't feed during the last 24 hours before you leave(while keeping their heat on). I do that so they can digest what I have fed them, then I can turn off their heat before I leave. With no supplemental heat, they stay at 67-70 degrees in my case. The need for food is greatly reduced at that temperature (metabolism slows down) and so babies can then get through a week without food just fine. A previously well fed adult can go 3 weeks like this without a problem.

Thing is, they must have fresh clean water at all times. I would have someone take care of their water if I was going to be gone more than two days. I think it's best not to plan on being gone for days while babies are less than two months old since that is a critical time for them.

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    I think it's best not to plan on being gone for days while babies are less than two months old since that is a critical time for them.
    Critical indeed. Good advice.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Never had to leave a snake quite that young before, but when Houdini was still really little we would feed him well before a long trip and then leave separate water dishes, and put a few guppies in one.. When we got back, a few but not all of the guppies would always be missing.
    Don't know the exact age of yours, or if this would be a good idea for one so young, but if you're only gone a day or two, he'll probably be okay.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    I think it's best not to plan on being gone for days while babies are less than two months old since that is a critical time for them.
    This baby is only 3 weeks old, and he just started eating 7 days ago.

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

Ok, I'm leaving tomorrow, and we're coming back Thursday...

I DO NOT know anyone I trust to take care of him. No one... the only ones I know is my family and they're coming too... and I only trust them a little bit

I'm just not very trusting when it comes to my snakes. NO ONE touches the snake

Also, I CAN take his enclosure...

He's been PIGGING OUT on guppies lately (unscented now!), if I hand him 3-4 he'd probably eat them, I don't think food is a problem...

I think I'll just take him if I when I go for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSidedSPR View Post
    Ok, I'm leaving tomorrow, and we're coming back Thursday...
    If you are only gone for 2 full days he will likely be fine. Maybe buy a timer for the lights/heat? Or turn heat off as Richard suggested?

The week long excursion with 4-6 hours drive time is another matter. Consult the experts on drive time stress vs other stuff. I would be worried about stressing him out with the drive, not sure how long guppies can live in a water bowl (or if gorging is a concern) but maybe something to consider?