Banned

Perfect shipping containers for snakes

I was searching for suitable snake shipping containers since I am down to just one, and I got that one out of the trash where I work.

I found this site and the prices are very reasonable. These containers would make it pretty safe to ship snakes overnight in freezing weather if you include a warm gel pack inside or for hot weather shipping with cool gel packs.

I'm going to order some for the 2011 season. They look to be perfect for the job of keeping reptiles safe in hot or cold weather.

Well worth the investment especially if you're shipping valuable or irreplaceable animals.

Link: Foam Insulated Shipping Boxes Insulated Shipping Kits Gel Packs

Re: Perfect shipping containers for snakes

I like the idea. Is there any concerns regarding these containers that any member can think of?
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

Banned

This is how Don and I have been shipping snakes to each other safely even in the dead of winter. I also used basically the same packaging when I shipped babies to Florida in triple digit weather last summer. In that case, I chilled the gel pack in the freezer. I am told it was still cool when the snake arrived. Haven't lost a single snake. I was just looking for a source to buy more containers like the one's we've been using and found that site. They seem to be more reasonably priced when compared to other sites, and also no need to buy hundreds of dollars worth per order.

Thank you!
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

Banned

Seems they will keep the contents more or less constant temperature inside for at least 24 hours. Many people think you need to poke holes in them which would ruin their insulating properties. I can tell you if you're doing 24 hour shipping, do not poke holes in them. There's enough air for that duration for small snakes or lizards as long as you leave some empty space in there.

"Third shed, A Success" MasSalvaje's Avatar

I have both shipped and recieved snakes in these boxes (or one very similar) and I wouldn't recommend anything else. LLLReptile has a good video on their site for properly packing reptiles, a good view if it is your first time shipping or are overly anxious about shipping.

-Thomas

Banned

Yes, I had forgotten where I had viewed that. Thanks for reminding us. I too had never shipped reptiles but then I watched that and packaged them accordingly. I have since done a lot of shipments, even coast to coast in less than ideal weather and am happy to say all arrived safely.

I also kept track of all my shipments so I know where any transfer points happen so I can see what the weather is like to avoid any possible weather related delays. Don just happens to be in Salt Lake City and all my east bound shipments transfer planes there 8 hours after I ship them, then go nonstop to a major airport nearest the destination. This info helps a lot when considering the weather and conditions your shipments could possibly be subjected to.

Of course, for baby or small garters you can scale it down to save on shipping costs, and I buy plastic containers 3 for a buck at the dollar store and use a hot poker to make ventilation holes in them. For the very tiny one's I used those little condiment containers you get with takeout food!

Here's that shipping how-to video: Educational & How To Videos

Just see to it that the snakes are in containers that are taped shut, barely big enough for them, and secured/padded so they don't bounce around. Remember this isn't going to comfortable for them, they should be basically crammed in there, but the idea is for them to get there alive.

I would never use the oxygen eating type heat packs though. I use a warmed gel pack. Also, I have shipped second day before with no issues. Again you have to watch the weather and know where that second day (usually by truck) happens.
    Last edited by ConcinusMan; 01-20-2011 at 07:47 PM.