Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "Preparing For Second shed" Snakeknot's Avatar

Scared of Snakes, Stories

I just heard of a poll taken recently about what people are afraid of and snakes topped the list. The first thing I thought was, "How sad. Who taught them that?"

Now granted, there are many snakes that we SHOULD be wary of. I would never knowingly play with a venemous snake because I know how stupid I am as to the proper method of handling them. But would I run screaming into the next county? Probably not. I would probably just retreat to a safe distance and observe for a while.

We all love snakes here. However, we also probably all know someone, either a friend or a family member, who has a fear of snakes and we have had to deal with that. I want to hear your stories just to commiserate.

My mother has always been terrified of snakes. My dad and I were always the snake wranglers if one got into the house. I was raised in an old house surrounded by a marsh on a state wildlife refuge. Snakes in the house were bound to happen from time to time.

My mother also rehabilitated baby and wounded wildlife for eventual release. She wrote a column about her experiences in the local paper for years and years. And yes, she wrote an article on her feelings toward snakes. ( Apparently I had a pet garter as a child but I don't remember this! ) I'm thinking I need to write a follow up article on this.

Devon
    Tools are weapons. Weapons are tools. Both are dangerous in the hands of fools.

Re: Scared of Snakes, Stories

I work with a lady that can't even look at a picture of a snake.
    If you use the word snake she gets upset/mad/scared and storms off. I've know people who don't like or fear them but she's at the other end of the spectrum.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

That's my mom. If you draw a stick figure of a snake, she leaves the room. I think her fear is a little more than that. I think she's literally got a phobia of snakes.

Devon

my step dad is afraid of snakes....but were are training him! last visit he actually helped me feed and clean!!

Banned

The fear is learned in many cases I think. You won't find a single toddler that is afraid of snakes. Quite the opposite. They are very curious of them. Myself, in spite of living in CA most of my life, I hardly set eyes on a real snake unless it was at the zoo. I used to catch lizards all the time before I was 7, but never found snakes. Probably because I always lived in big cities.

I moved to WA in 1977 when I was 7 and went out to play and found garter snakes everywhere. (ordinoides) I took an immediate curiosity to them and learned to love them. Fear never crossed my mind but niether of my parents are afraid of snakes so I didn't have fear as an influence.

It's weird though, I knew a kid when I first got to WA that as deathly afraid of anything resembling a snake. He would hyperventilate and run in terror at the sight of a wiggling shoe string or night crawler. He'd practically have a heart attack at the site of a tiny garter snake.

Brainwashed at birth always say
    Nolan
    0.4.T.sirtalis.sirtalis(cb)
    0.1.T.sirtalis.sirtalis(wc)
    Wants:Any Color Morph of the Thamnophis s.s.,And maybe a Radix

Banned

We all are in some way or another. Can't help that.

It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

My grandma is absolutely terrified of snakes, pictures of snakes, rubber snakes, anything that reminds her of a snake. I have a fun memory of her making all of us kids get on a picnic table with her because there was a snake at their cabin. My grandpa & uncle were charged with "getting rid of it" while my grandma hugged us all and danced around on the picnic table. Silly, silly, silly.

Another older woman in our family was just crabby & had a cane. lol You didn't mess with her or she'd take the cane to you. Well, my cousin and I were stalking this cute little anole looking lizard and WHAM down came the tip of her cane on it That still makes me sad. I mean we were going to catch it, she could have just told us to take it outside... we were in a huge screened in room at the cabin. Grrr.
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.

"Preparing For First shed" brubru2's Avatar

In my family, everybody loves snakes. Even my mom and sister love to watch when I feed my garters. In my dad's case, the only fear he hes is that of heights. As for me, I just love all snakes, venemous or non. I do realize venemous snakes are dangerous, but I am not at all bothered by that aspect.
    Three snakes, six fish equals: one happy family.

We're all dangerous in some way or another. I find people a helluva lot more scary than dangerous animals!

Dervon