Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Herping tips?

"Third shed, A Success" Hornets23's Avatar

Herping tips?

Hey everyone...I always read about how all of your herping trips are so successful. I find snakes here and there but I don't seem to have nearly the luck of many of you. I have no intention of keeping any WC snakes, I only like to have a good look and take a few pictures....but I thought some of you might have a few good herping tips?
    ~Christa

Re: Herping tips?

There are so many things that you can keep in mind to increase the odds of finding snakes. I can't get too specific, because we don't have the same type of habitats and animals, but there are a few things that I've found to be useful.

It pays to look for something specific, because then you can limit your herping to the areas where the snakes are most likely to be found. Learn about the snakes, what they eat, when they're active, where they live and what time of year they'll be doing what.

Orienteering maps or any other detailed map type are very useful for finding spots that are likely to have snakes. Planning saves time. Ask the locals, some of them may be familiar with places where there are lots of snakes.

Where there's prey, there are usually predators.

Very little to add as far as planning where to go... Stefan covered that quite well.

What I do and it works fairly good, Walk slowly and lightly, sweep the ground back and forth with your eyes looking for motion and places to hide.

Chunks of driftwood, large flat rocks, slabs of tree bark, and man made debris, (boards, sheet metals, garbage) I found a nice snake once under an old cardboard box that was almost rotted away.

Patience is always helpful, don't get discouraged if it takes longer than expected to find something.

In Hog Heaven

Now, where's my butt? I can't find my butt! (waving hands frantically 'behind' self looking for said butt...)

I think I need to just take a day at the park and ATTEMPT to herp. Get out away from the Visitor Center... Oh! Say! Just a small wee teeny tangent here!

A smooth green snake was found on the turn off of to the group camp on Sat and Dave kept it for the nite to use in the Sunday program. We have to have the State Herp Nerds see if if we can keep it, but may be too hard to keep, or return it to the wild as SGSs are not really documented in that county. It may be kind'a rare and they may want to do a study! COOL.

Too, I'm now officially called a Snake Nerd but Dave! I LOVE IT!

Back to trying to find my butt with both hands...
    2.0 NY Eastern Garters; Peepers, Jeepers
    3.1 Western Hoggies; Kenabec, Niizh, Kokopelli, Anasazi
    3.0 Puget Garters; Kunikpok, Tungortok, 'Rockster
    1.0 Eastern Milk; Carmello

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

If you are looking for garters, your best bet is within the vicinity on a body of water of some sort. It doesn't have to be right in that area... but there should be some water somewhere near you.

When herping for garters... here's what i do:

you are always likely to find snakes under stuff, but there are times of the day where it's more likely. At night, if you go out with a flashlight and lift things that snakes are found under, you should find a BUNCH, because garters don't come out at night... in the mountains I did this and since its a bit chilly there at night... I can even reach down and poke one a few times and they don't budge! It makes for an easy find when compared to in the daytime you lift something and 6 of them go zipping in every direction. You can also use this technique in the early morning just before, and a little bit after, the sun starts rising. Once the sun is starting to hit the ground significantly, change your tactics a little. Still look under objects, but move slower and keep an eye out on the grass, on rocks and logs in open areas because now they start to come out and sun themselves. If you get lucky you may come across a whole pile of them sunning in the grass together like I have a few times!

from that time until 12-1pm is primetime for walking around and spotting snakes being active.

During the real heat of the day... usually starting around 12 or 1 and lasting until 3 or 4.... sometimes it gets too hot and the snakes retreat a little bit... again you always will run into the occasional snake...but this is the time of day I have a hard time finding anything. Once you get towards the evening, theyare usually back out and about... and then as the sun begins to set, they will all be retreating under hiding places for the night.

I use these ideas and techniques when I herp and I found about 100 snakes in one weekend in july.

Stefan makes a very good point.... where there is prey (in garter's case worms, amphibians, fishes and possibly baby mice) there are snakes.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

I am not obsessed.... GartersRock's Avatar

Good tips everyone!!
    Amanda Tolleson

"Third shed, A Success" Hornets23's Avatar

Thanks for the tips guys...I'm thinking that my problem is likely the time of day that I go...usually when i go looking for snakes i'm on some kind of multipurpose outing and i'm really into birds so I often go in the middle of the day...I think I'll trying going earlier and focusing entirely on snakes. I never even thought to go at night...I'll have to try that also. I think I have a fairly good idea of what kind of areas to look in, but i'll just have to keep practicing. I'm bound to get better.
    ~Christa

Also...
    Look where you don't think there's the slightest chance of there being snakes.
    One of my personal favorite spots that's always loaded with snakes is across the street from an apartment complex and down the street from a highway.

Be on guard; check where the sun hits; if you don't want to be out in the *insert weather here* they won't; sunshine after thunderstorms is your best friend; watch your feet; look before you grab; too early in the season is usually too late; ask the locals; people and snakes don't mix, but snakes and people's property do (lol)
    MOST IMPORTANT THING:
    If you're wearing shoes, you have two snake bags on hand.
    0.1 Storeria dekayi
    Hoping to get some T. s. sirtalis High-Reds next summer!

Hi, I'm New Here!

All excellent tips... once you find a good spot, you can also "seed" the area by putting a few hiding places in yourself (boards, tin, any flatter material) and they will find it. I've checked my hotspots in the evening and have had to move snakes around with my hand to find the best ones. Sometimes a dozen or more gathering for the night - easterns, browns, ringnecks.

I am not obsessed.... GartersRock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    Also...
    Look where you don't think there's the slightest chance of there being snakes.
    One of my personal favorite spots that's always loaded with snakes is across the street from an apartment complex and down the street from a highway.

Be on guard; check where the sun hits; if you don't want to be out in the *insert weather here* they won't; sunshine after thunderstorms is your best friend; watch your feet; look before you grab; too early in the season is usually too late; ask the locals; people and snakes don't mix, but snakes and people's property do (lol)
    MOST IMPORTANT THING:
    If you're wearing shoes, you have two snake bags on hand.
    Good tips! But I have to disagree with the "if you don't want to be out" comment.
    It was steady raining and humid last week and I went out to find a bunch of toads. There sitting along the side of the path in the grass was a 5 foot TX Rat Female watching us.
    Amanda Tolleson