Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Califor. King Snake

I placed an ad in Craigslist. Letting people in our area know that I would take any unwanted snakes. A lady called and is about to offer me a 4 1/2 Calf. King Snake. She says it eats 2-3 mice every other week. Is it safe to say the care for it would be like the care for a Bull snake? I've done those before with never any problems. Thanks for your advise.

Re: Califor. King Snake

Yes Steve, Standard Colubrid care applies.

I don't wish to seem negative, Steve..... but if you don't know how to care for a King Snake, why offer to take any unwanted snakes?
    James.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Loren's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dekaybrown View Post
    Yes Steve, Standard Colubrid care applies.
    I agree.

Guys.... standard colubrid? Please define. Like a Dekays? Like a Brown Tree Snake? Like a Green Snake? A Boomslang?
    I think the colubrids are a bit too diverse to standardise into one set of captive care rules.
    My point being, if Steve needs to ask about captive care for this species, it might be a little ambitious to advertise his willingness to take any unwanted snake? The first consideration with Kings of course, is their propensity towards ophiophagy.... best to keep that in mind.
    James.

unwanted snake
    Also, a lot of peoples' unwanted snakes will more than likely be poorly taken care of and may need medical attention and advanced care from the "rescuer", so it's best that you know how to care for the specific species you are taking in.
    Brook

I'm going to have agree with James on both issues here. Even if some colubrids have similar needs, that's still far from any kind of standard.

Your enthusiasm is understandable, Steve, but I would recommend taking it a bit slower and gathering all the information you can before getting a new snake. It seems a bit irresponsible to offer to "accept any challenge".

Thanks for your advice. I'm asking before I take on the snake. I understand the possible costs to me. Giving them a better home is my objective. I'm devoted to all my animals and will do whatever it takes to give them a chance at a better life. If that means my own education then that's what I'll do.

I don't doubt that your motives are honourable (and commendable) Steve. It just concerns me that you could easily be saddled with a snake you can't even identify, much less care for, by placing such an ad. Don't forget, by making this offer you are giving people the impression that you can provide better care for the animal than they can...... If you have no knowledge or experience of this animal (whereas they do) this impression would be misleading. I speak from experience..... I did a similar thing myself, years ago. The first snake to come into my care was a European Cat Snake (Telescopus fallax) with mouth-rot. I failed... utterly.
    James.

I understand your concern and appreciate your advice. That makes sense. Sometimes I lead with my heart. I have given it thought. I give myself the option to not take an animal I don't think I can for. I also know there will be situations where the snake needs rescuing whether I know what it is or not. I hope there are some of those. I've read some of the post describing the horrible conditions some of these snakes have to live in. For them I will do what I can.