? Bearded Dragons

Okay, I should know this by now, Beardie, he is going on 7 yrs in Nov. I got him in Feb 2001. Only 2 times in the last 4 yrs he has slept, thought he was DEAD, but he wasn't. What he is doing is that called Burmation? Beardie is a male. So this morning, his lights come on... & he is still in the corner all comfy, sleeping. I touched him to see if he is alive... yes he is! He didn't open his eyes.

So is he planning on burmating? If so, do I keep his lights on, or off? I have a CHE, should I use that to keep him warm? It's just started to get cooler here. 45-60's here in GA.

thanks in advance on help or some insight!!
    Stephanie

"Preparing For First shed" tyflier's Avatar

Re: ? Bearded Dragons

Let me start off by saying I have never brumated a beardy before, but I have brumated snakes, and it's similar...

You want it to be cooler than normal in his enclosure...by about 15-20 degrees cooler than normal. A short daylight cycle wouldn't hurt, but I keep my snakes in 24hour darkness during brumation. The main thing is conserving digestion. You want to make sure he is warm enough to survive, but not warm enough to be active. He should be sleeping, not using energy. And he should have access to a constant supply of fresh water.

If you keep it warm, he *should* stay awake. If you see him awake...feed him. As long as he is sleeping...don't feed him.

"PM Boots For Custom Title"

I am guessing it is the same with Beardies as with snakes, you need to mike sure their digestive track is empty before Burmating them.
    If not then the food will rot in his gut and kill it.

"Preparing For First shed" tyflier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LushLulu85 View Post
    I am guessing it is the same with Beardies as with snakes, you need to mike sure their digestive track is empty before Burmating them.
    If not then the food will rot in his gut and kill it.
    That's true, but a beardy digests it's food much more quickly than a snake. For snakes, I let them "empty out" for 2-3 weeks before cooling them. For beardies, I imagine just a few days would be fine. Crickets and veggies digest very quickly...

"PM Boots For Custom Title"

Quote Originally Posted by tyflier View Post
    That's true, but a beardy digests it's food much more quickly than a snake. For snakes, I let them "empty out" for 2-3 weeks before cooling them. For beardies, I imagine just a few days would be fine. Crickets and veggies digest very quickly...
    Sorry i thought i had wrote that in. Just a few days would be fine but make sure the UV and heat are still on at this point.
    My beardie threw up his meal the other day and i was told that i might not have left him under the UV for long enough after feeding him. Sometimes the upchuck reflexes ain't that great so be safe than sorry.
    I am a newb with beardies though so if anyone knows better then by all means. This is going off my experiances with my Beardie.

my beardie goes off food and dozes off and on for most of the winter, whether I leave heat and light as usual or not (and I do)
    I've taken to just letting him do his thing and I continue to offer food, which he takes occasionally
    it's not what I would call a real brumation - it's more like a slowing down
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by drache View Post
    my beardie goes off food and dozes off and on for most of the winter, whether I leave heat and light as usual or not (and I do)
    I've taken to just letting him do his thing and I continue to offer food, which he takes occasionally
    it's not what I would call a real brumation - it's more like a slowing down

Thank you all. I appreciate it. Okay rhea, I am doing the same thing. He woke up, but he is just laying there in the corner still, where it's cooler, near his water dish. His eye's open, then slowly closes..LOL I have fresh greens for him, if he is hungry. He had some super worms the other day!

Stephanie

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

It is normal for a beardie to do this about once per year... even though you leave the tank conditions the same, they will still often do this. It is nothing to worry about, just keep a close watch and in a month or two he will be back up and running!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    It is normal for a beardie to do this about once per year... even though you leave the tank conditions the same, they will still often do this. It is nothing to worry about, just keep a close watch and in a month or two he will be back up and running!
    Thank you Shannon!
    Stephanie