Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Banned

Re: HELP this is urgent...can minnows kill my new garter

Quote Originally Posted by Conners View Post
    Hi Concinnus man,

Thank you for that very useful info.

I'm certainly hoping to get these guys back onto rodents by hook or crook, so I'll try the scenting plan you suggest. It's tricky though, as they have both become more and more skittish as they've grown. They will only take the fish if left alone with the live fish in their bowls for a period. Then they'll dart out, grab one, fly back into their hides and repeat the process ten minutes later.
    Cheers

Conners
    Sounds like they're just being garter snakes. Good!

Please read: http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/husb...ng-styles.html

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    I feed a lot of snakes. Most of that feeding this year has been to babies(radix). I've observed many eating styles and thought I would share the different styles I've seen and the names I've given them. Please feel free to add anything I've missed.

Eating Styles

#1 Grab and go: This is where the snake rushes in at first smell/sight of food, grabs a piece and heads to the other end of the enclosure.

#2 Focused/sit and eat: Here the snake simply sits at the food dish and fills up. They are not rushed or hurried. No stealing, no fighting, no interest in any other snake or anything else that is going on.

#3. Chaser/Stealer/Thief: Here the snake ignores the food dish and focuses on anyone with food in their mouth. They will travel across the food dish to attempt to steal food.

#4 Gobbler/Gulper: These snakes swallow as much food as fast as they can. They are nervous and easily turn into a thief.

#5 Silent/invisible: These snakes seem invisible to everyone eating. They move in and out of the food dish. They are not challenged or harassed by anyone. They don't eat fast and never stop moving.

#6 Waiters: These snakes don't attempt to eat or show any interest in what's going on. They wait until the vast majority of the other snakes have eaten. They then slowly move in and eat. If a lot of activity returns to the food dish they simply move off and wait until things calm down again.

#7 Non-eaters: These snakes may visit the food dish or not. They may look like they are going to eat but then lose interest and move off. They may or may not watch others eat and show no interest in eating themselves. They do not show any aggression towards anyone eating. These are the snakes that are most likely to die from "failure to thrive". Aggressive feeding strategies are need to get these snakes started. It should also be noted that these snakes may not survive even if aggressive strategies are used.
    * Non- eaters help: In my experience I have found guppies and earthworms(not night crawlers) to be the food items to ignite these snakes into eating. It should also be known that sometimes nothing works for these snakes as they are destine to die from starvation. I personally will euthanize them before this happens. I have also had non-eaters start eating and then out of the blue stop eating and die. I believe these snakes are developmentally behind and in the wild would have died much earlier. The bright spot is the fact some of them do live and thrive.

"Preparing For First shed" Dameco13's Avatar

Guys i got the night crawlers

and i do not know how much to feed i fed 3 small minnows(before i knew they weren't safe) every three days now i swapped to crawlers and do not know how much to feed
    THIS IS URGENT QUICK REPLYS LOVED
    Dameco: owner of
    Zippy The Normal valley garter snake 0.0.1

You can feed your snake minnows.Just not at every feeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Dameco13 View Post
    Guys i got the night crawlers

and i do not know how much to feed i fed 3 small minnows(before i knew they weren't safe) every three days now i swapped to crawlers and do not know how much to feed
    THIS IS URGENT QUICK REPLYS LOVED
    2-3 crawlers every few days should be fine for snake that size.
    Minnows as a rule carry a heavy parasite load. It you are going to feed those they should be frozen for a couple of months before you feed them. That should kill any adults or eggs. Notice the word "SHOULD" it might not and then you will be introducing parasites.
    I suggest you only feed live guppies, if you must feed live fish.
    You can always forget the live fish and stay with store bought frozen salmon, tilapia or trout. Then parasites are not an issue.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Banned

It's a judgement call on your part. You're the caretaker. Just see that they get a good buldge in their belly at each feeding. Don't let them get overstuffed but get a nice lump in there that disappears within 2-3 days. The snakes will reveal to you how often they require it. They need to get you trained, but don't worry, you'll get it soon enough.

mkay thanks all

Hi, I'm New Here!

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    Sounds like they're just being garter snakes. Good!

Please read: http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/husb...ng-styles.html
    Cheers ConcinnusMan,

It takes some getting used to as back in the day when I had a colony of parietalis, all I ever saw were voracious, slavering eating habits with no hint of coyness!

Conners

welcome to the forums conners

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Conners View Post
    Cheers ConcinnusMan,

It takes some getting used to as back in the day when I had a colony of parietalis, all I ever saw were voracious, slavering eating habits with no hint of coyness!

Conners
    No eating "styles" for individuals? If you keep a group of very young ones together you can't help but notice some differences.

Never shed

It seems your mum does not want to keep pinkies in her freezer, but whats wrong with going to the local pet shop every week and buying one pinkie, no freezer is needed