Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    "Third shed, A Success" prattypus's Avatar

Re: Returned the keelback to Petco...

Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    I haven't been to the local petco in months... I keep meaning to get over there and see if there are any. And let me tell you, I will be taking pictures, dragging an employee over there, explain very clearly what they are doing is against the law and why I care so darned much, and getting corporate's info the moment I find one!!!
    I understand being in a huff- but I am a wee bit lost. What are they doing that is illegal? Garter isn't an exclusive term, so I don't think that is against the law.
    Jason--
    Red 5 Standing By...

And_Lyn

Quote Originally Posted by prattypus View Post
    I understand being in a huff- but I am a wee bit lost. What are they doing that is illegal? Garter isn't an exclusive term, so I don't think that is against the law.

False advertising I guess you could call it

Don't worry, they will have all there bases covered. Since, they are commonly called an Indonesian GARTER SNAKES.
    I'm sure the driving force behind the sale of these animals is the cheap price they get them for. They probably make a good profit.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

problem with a lot of them is they buy cheap wild caught snakes for real low prices, then jack up the price, all they care about is profit....not selling people quality animals. sometimes it's better to go to small privately owned pet stores....may pay a little more, but could get much better animals in the long run!!!

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prattypus View Post
    false advertisement! these are being represented as garter snakes, and some petco's even lable them as canadian garters, at that. these are not garter snakes, period!

If I am not mistaken I also read from someone's thread on this forum that they even had a scientific name with the label of the snake... it would take me far too much time to find it now... maybe someone else would remember seeing that too?
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

"Third shed, A Success" MasSalvaje's Avatar

I apologize for pulling this thread up again. I am new on the site so please let me know if I am missing anything. Why did you have to return him in the first place? I realize it was misrepresented but the care is very much similar to a N.A. Garter. Somebody gave me this guy as a "Canadian Garter" and he has turned out to be one of my favorites in my, all be it small, collection. Some of you may have made suggestions to my thread on another forum about him, but I have now had him 3 months and he is eating pinkies as well as any of my Garters. I am really looking forward to getting another one when one becomes available.

*Photobucket was down at posting so I will get pics ASAP!

-Thomas Wilder

Juvenile snake

They had one on the label at the petco that sold us a keelback. They labeled him as a canadian garter. Of course I can't remember the exact species they said it was now.
    Patrick and sometimes Bethany

I know our Petco has a common name, and the scientific name for most species they carry. For example, the label on Simones enclosure said Common Garter and under that is listed Thamnophis Sirtalis. If they have the wrong scientific name it IS false advertising.

Keelbacks aren't Thamnophis are they?
    Kris and the "Zoo"
    Simone the Garter

"Third shed, A Success" MasSalvaje's Avatar

Striped Keelbacks are not Thamnophis, ironicly they are not really Keelbacks either (Rhabdophis), they are Xenochrophis vittatus.

I am new on the forum so maybe somebody could help me out, why did you return it in the first place. I realize it was a misrepresentation but these guys are amazing! Care is very similar to that of Thamnophis. I was given one a few months ago as a "Canadian Garter," at the time I had no idea what it really was just that it wasn't Thamnophis. Since that time it is slamming down pinkies and has become one of my favorites in my colection.

As far as the false advertising law goes, the only thing they have to do in the case of an item or animal being misrepresented is return it. There is no legal issue on the matter, they will not be charged with fraud or even get a visit from the local authorities. The only way that would possibly happen is if they were selling an illegal species under a legal species name.

Like I said these guys are awesome and I am looking forward to picking up a few more!
    -Thomas

"Third shed, A Success" prattypus's Avatar

ah, I get it now. Sorry for raising a stink. I've seen them in there as Ribbons. I don't remember seeing the scientific name or not.
    Jason--
    Red 5 Standing By...