Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I am not obsessed.... GartersRock's Avatar

Re: My Heart Beat Theory

Wayne, what do you think of the way Scott Felzer house's his garters?
    Amanda Tolleson

"Third shed, A Success" jeanette's Avatar
    i live in the uk near the city of sheffield

The heart beat theory isnt a new thing, its been investigated in mammels but not so much in reptiles.
    any creature that spends any amount of time with its own kind can also respond to the comfort of a heart beat, but even snakes born from eggs can respond to the sound of a heart beat especially males that have just become of breeding age and have never smelt a female in oestrus . Much to my hubby's delight and imense laughter we discovered that our Ball/Royal Python had infact initiated a mating ritual with me, he crawled up my body to my neck (felt my heartbeat) and proceeded to massage the area whilst rubbing his spurs on my arm. We thought this was completely off the wall and went and had a chat with our herpetologist friend. he said its not usual but it can happen, and it could just have easily happened to my hubby as it did to me. The male having never smelt a female of his own kind in heat and having just come of breeding age responded to my heart beat. i feel so violated

Did your 'herpetologist' friend tell you this on April 1st? It gives a whole new meaning to 'anything with a heartbeat'!
    James.

In Hog Heaven

Quote Originally Posted by jeanette View Post
    Much to my hubby's delight and imense laughter we discovered that our Ball/Royal Python had infact initiated a mating ritual with me, he crawled up my body to my neck (felt my heartbeat) and proceeded to massage the area whilst rubbing his spurs on my arm. We thought this was completely off the wall and went and had a chat with our herpetologist friend. he said its not usual but it can happen, and it could just have easily happened to my hubby as it did to me. The male having never smelt a female of his own kind in heat and having just come of breeding age responded to my heart beat. i feel so violated
    It took me awhile to figure out when my parrot got all excited and got 'sticky stuff' all over his perch what he was trying to tell me. Never knew snakes could do it too!

I'm dumbfounded. All I can really add is a quote from myself on another thread.

"I really can't argue on this any more. It's such utter nonsense that I'm actually embarrassed to be discussing it!"
    James.

"Third shed, A Success" jeanette's Avatar
    i live in the uk near the city of sheffield

Quote Originally Posted by adamanteus View Post
    Did your 'herpetologist' friend tell you this on April 1st? It gives a whole new meaning to 'anything with a heartbeat'!
    im afraid not

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Snake lover 3-25's Avatar

lol well then you don't have to!!!!!!

I'm dumbfounded. All I can really add is a quote from myself on another thread.

"I really can't argue on this any more. It's such utter nonsense that I'm actually embarrassed to be discussing it!"
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

Quote Originally Posted by Snake lover 3-25 View Post
    lol well then you don't have to!!!!!!
    I think it is nice to hear a voice of reason every now and then.

In Hog Heaven

Forgive me for posting this topic. To me it was new, wonderful and enlightning. Again, I'm new to this. I found it so exciting and wonderful. Like a door into the world of snakes - like getting in touch with them on their level. Like we could communicate in some way.

It excited me so much that in a primeval way I could communicate with Wiinne and we could join - I dare not say bond.

I do feel I communicate with Winnie, and will with my own snakes. Bonding may only be one way, but that doesn't mean it's frivolous or not real or less important than a two-way bond.

Ya'gotta take things at face value. A snake is NOT gonna 'bond' like a dog or cat or a human. But I do truly believe a snake will form a relationship. Of some kind.

Quote Originally Posted by adamanteus View Post
    I couldn't agree more if I'd written it myself!
    However, that said I know that many people use various rack systems without any problems.
    For me the whole reason I keep the Garters is for my viewing pleasure, for this they need to be 'show-cased' in a large, attractive 'natural' looking viv.
    I like a glass front viv because not only can I see the garters, but they can see me! My garters stare at me as I work. Yeah, they are probably hoping the next meal is coming... but there has to be more to it than that, because they also stare at me after meals sometimes. I also believe that a garter may feel secure in a sweater box, but will be more stimulated mentally if it has places to explore and room to move around.
    KitKat
    "Acts of kindness should never be random."