Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: feeding live pinkys??

I don't think it wil get ugly, It's just the forums way of expressing their feeling and beliefs in a healthy way.
    Quadruple Sport Enthusiast
    Wrestling
    Track
    Soccer
    Cross Country

I doubt anybody is going to come up with a new argument for or against live feeding. Most of you have probably witnessed or participated in this debate before so it would be a complete waste of time to repeat it here or try to convince anybody. Personally, I'm satisfied with stating my own opinion and I don't expect it to really matter to anyone else.

I really don't care if the rodent has a chance of escaping and I think fairness is about as good an argument as the thought that it's natural or necessary for the snake. It's just my belief that minimizing suffering is the biggest priority. After making sure the snake is fed, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by adamanteus View Post
    This seems like an appropriate moment to point out that in the UK (and elsewhere?), the use of live rodents for feeding to snakes (and other animals) is illegal. The law sees it as being unnecessarily cruel. Who are we to argue?
    It's illegal here as well. But I don't have much faith in lawmakers, so I usually prefer to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot View Post
    I hope it doesn't get to ugly, but live feeding may be one of the more "passionate" debates in snake keeping.
    Live feeding and hybrids.

I will leave all matters aside that deal with suffering of the mouse, etc. For me it is simple. Mouse colonies are sometimes found to carry cryptosporidium.

Frozen and thawed, and scented with minnows that are frozen and thawed. End of story.
    KitKat
    "Acts of kindness should never be random."

Can't kill crypto through freezing.

I think.

Ok, so it kills most of them, but not all.

okay
    here's my opinion
    I don't think my mostly c/b snakes need to exercise their killing instincts
    I also don't believe the mice are suffering anywhere near as much as kind hearted souls fear they do
    I feed f/t because it seems cleaner and it certainly is a heck of a lot more convenient
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Never shed

Well who would have thought I'd creat three pages of thread from feeding my garters baby mice. Thanks for all opinions and input. I've lately thought about why I keep the garters I have( Iv'e felt kinda down ) and this is what I've come up with. I keep garters as pets to learn about a new creature that is tipically thought of as nasty and icky, that if observed is really qiute fasinating in its' behavior and food choices,and wiil influence my career choice in college.

Good debate. I don't think it was ever in danger of becoming "nasty". People have their own opinions, and they're entitled to them, it's always interesting to hear how other people feel on a subject. That's one of the things I love about this forum...we can strongly disagree with each other without losing mutual respect.
    James.

Dutch, bold and Thamnophis-crazy Thamnophis's Avatar

Cool Re: feeding live pinkys??

Personally, I would question the motives behind feeding live pinkies to your snakes, unless it is a temporary means to get the snake feeding. Don't you consider it unecessarily cruel, if the snake will just as readily accept dead food items?
    I agree with James.Garter snakes are not good killers. And every living creature should not suffer if it can be prevented. When I can kill a prey faster than the predator and there is no need for feeding alive, I will do the killing.
    It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner. Frank Zappa

"Preparing For First shed" Edcase's Avatar

If "killer instinct" mattered so much then surely the local park would be full of people with guns and spears hunting for a squirel or two for dinner. And also if my Garters could speak...bare with me....im sure they would tell me they prefer a nice easy/lazy meal then having to kill there own, if there anything like me anyway.

I never went to the zoo and saw them throw a live zebra in with the lions!

James, This has to be one of the most clever responses I have read in a long time.

Bravo!

I actually smiled

On a serious note, Unlike milk snakes, Corns, kings, (Most other Colubrids) and boids, Garters do not constrict and kill prey first, they just swallow.... It may be "nature" but really, theres no point in it in a captive enviroment.

Excellent thread.