Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: plants - fake and real

I usually microwave smaller stuff, and pour boiling water over larger branches etc.
    James.

"Preparing For Second shed"

I have a 2ft or so planter in my tank where I've planted some succulents I got at the local gardening center. They look cool and don't need much water/sun so they work out great.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosina View Post
    You could probably sterilise rocks and branches in the dishwasher is you used it without detergent or salt. Can't see it being quite such a good idea for leaves, but maybe an electric steamer might be useful. Or those microwave sterilisers you get for babies' bottles.
    Gotta be careful with rocks in the dishwasher! They can shed SAND.

I boil my rocks every 4 - 6 months. And I either bleach the plastic plants, or replace them... but I tend away from using them altogether for the most part.
    KitKat
    "Acts of kindness should never be random."

I use the fake silk plants for just about all my critters...snakes, to skinks to tarantulas. I like the silk better than the plastic, because the silk seems to have a more natural look to it and isn't as stiff looking as the plastic plants, although I've actually used them together before as well. One thing to beware of, if you get your silk plants from a hobby shop or florist, make sure that they haven't been treated with anything. Some are treated with antifungal agents to keep mold from growing on them if they are used outdoors. Also watch for exposed wires (what is used to give the "stems" of the plants their rigidity), these are very sharp and should either be trimmed back or you can put a small "glob" of aquarium or other silicone sealant over it. One more bit of advice, don't try to sterilize silk plants with boiling water. I tried this once and the entire thing shirveled up and almost looked like I had put a live plant into the water! I usually use hot water and Quatricide ( a antifungal-viral-bacterial cleaner sold for pet use) to clean up my plants. Hope this helps.
    Roy
    Roy
    0.1 T.s.pallidulus