Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Re: Lump on injured garter

I had one very young ordinoides that showed up in my backyard, fresh after a fight with a lawnmower. He had a badly kinked spine, missing ribs/skin. I though for sure he would die. He showed up a few years later, twice his original size, in spite of not moving very well, even after he healed. Kinda hard to move very fast with a broken spine, but he survived and grew.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi everyone. I came downstairs this morning and found Smitty with another "kink" in his spine. I'm attaching some pictures. Maybe someone has seen this before. As you can see, the lump closest to his head is the original injury that caused a deformity in the spine; the second bend is the new one. It doesn't look raised or injured like the first one, so I started searching the web and I'm wondering if it could possibly be cryptosporidium. From what I've read it sounds like they won't drink on their own (He doesn't, I give him water from an eyedropper) and they vomit what they do drink (which he also does; not the whole thing, but some of the water). They also won't eat on their own (he doesn't do that either; I have done an "assisted feeding twice, two weeks apart. The last one was 10 days ago) It also said you would see a swelling in the stomach. (I can't tell if his stomach would be located where the kink is or not.) He was moving around a lot, but now he's slowed down quite a bit. I find him in different places in his enclosure, but he's definitely more lethargic. Does anyone have any idea what could be happening? He hasn't been injured in any way. I'm the only one who handles him.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned

Poor lil' guy. Breakin' my heart.

I'm pretty sure that cryptosporidium only affects mammals, but I could be wrong. I don't really know too much about snake diseases. Never had a serious disease strike any of my babies. Serious injuries and a few skin infections I've dealt with, but nothing like this.

Looks to me like it is all related to the original injury. Looks degenerative. Sounds like your putting in the effort for the little guy.
    I have been where your at and have been faced with the reality of what's best for the snake and ultimately what's best for me. You may at some point(a time you will only know) be forced to put Smitty down. It's never what we want but sometimes it's what is best. You and Smitty are in our prayers.
    Thank you for your devotion to this wonderful little creature and friend.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Old and wise snake charles parenteau's Avatar

Look what i found last year .this male eastern garter snake was wounded so bad ,but still alive !!!

Old and wise snake charles parenteau's Avatar

sorry this is it if it work?

Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks everyone. I'm just going to take a few days and watch him, but I'm afraid I know what needs to be done. My husband made the point that because I give him food and water since he won't do it for himself that I basically have him on life support and that if I stopped doing that, he would die. I guess it's not much of a life for him. I knew the odds of trying to keep a wild snake when I brought him inside; nevertheless, much sadness : (

Hang in there. It a tough thing to do and you'll know when the time is right. If that time comes. I am so thankful that this little one found you. Your husband is right, this is life support but sometimes that is needed. If it becomes the only way the snake will survive then you have to look at the quality if its life.
    Best of luck and keep us posted.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Banned

I only resort to euthanasia in extreme circumstances. Last time I did it was when I found a Coluber constrictor mormon tangled up in duct tape. I tried everything to release him, but scales were coming off and his jaw was.. well it was bad. Real bad, and hopeless, and he was obviously suffering greatly. I wanted to make it quick, so a sharp hatchet did the trick.

Even badly injured snakes such as yours, I usually don't euthanize. I release them. In one case, I thought for sure the snake would die but he showed up a few years later, alive and larger. Your call though.

"Preparing For First shed" brubru2's Avatar

Well, hopefully he'll make it, but it sounds like that time has already passed.
    God bless you Smitty.