Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Shipping to Canada

I have a friend that lives in new york., What would be the procedure if I Ordered some snakes to his place and then drove down to pick them up. I live in ontario and this seems to be the only way to get Garter morphs up here.
    I guess that you're then responsible to get the required permits.
    tina, aka garterchick

Banned

That's the thing. According to Canadian law it seems that most (no protected snakes such as T.s. tetrataenia) garter snakes can cross freely into Canada without breaking laws. It's coming out of Canada where it gets tricky. And of course as long as the snake is not wildlife, such as a non-native CB morph, you wouldn't be breaking U.S. law either.

Subadult snake

Its too bad it so hard to ship between Canada and the US, I would like to be able to get some of the nice maritimes we have here into the hands of some of the breeders I've seen on this forum. (assuming any were interested lol)

That's the thing. According to Canadian law it seems that most (no protected snakes such as T.s. tetrataenia) garter snakes can cross freely into Canada without breaking laws. It's coming out of Canada where it gets tricky. And of course as long as the snake is not wildlife, such as a non-native CB morph, you wouldn't be breaking U.S. law either.
    I guess then I don't understand why shipping is so difficult.
    tina, aka garterchick

"Preparing For First shed"

I guess then I don't understand why shipping is so difficult.
    The person who you replied to stated that there's no issue with snakes coming into Canada - it's leaving Canada where there are issues.

The same is basically true in the United States. Bringing animals into the country isn't much of an issue - exporting them is.

I suppose there's reasons why there are export laws, but that's another topic. What I was trying to get across in my initial post was not to let someone from another country talk you into shipping them reptiles. If you do not have an Export Permit it's illegal and part of the penalty may be that you will no longer be able to keep reptiles (not to mention the fines, court costs, lawyer fees, having a criminal record, etc.).

There is no risk to the person receiving the snakes. All the risk is on the person shipping them. Again, these are the rules - I don't necessarily like them, but as a breeder you should know them.
    Tim Spuckler
    Third Eye Herptile Propagation
    www.thirdeyeherp.com

I had allready decided not to do it, just trying to understand it.
    tina, aka garterchick

Hi, I'm New Here!

My plan is to order the snakes to new york and pick them up. I would call those at the border and give 2 or 3 days advance call that I would be returning to Canada with the snakes. I would have to pay a fee to have a specalist check the animals I was brining in but I do not believe I need a permit for garters.

I hope it is this simple.

So many nice garters and none that I can find in Ontario

Well, if you can figure out how to do it legally by picking them up in the US, let me know. I'd love to be able to bring my flames into Canada, I just don't want to get in trouble for it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    tina, aka garterchick

"Preparing For Fourth shed" Spankenstyne's Avatar

Here's a helpful cut & pasted rundown as written up by Roy Stockwell regarding import export to & from Canada:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

Below is information Compiled by Roy Stockwell on the importation and exportation of reptiles to and from Canada.

US IMPORT/EXPORT INFO
    For Americans Exporting from the U.S.A. (Canadians should be familiar with these steps too)
    All animals leaving or entering the USA must be inspected by US fish & wildlife This is generally done at what is known as a designated port . If you are not located at a designated port you must contact your local branch of USF&W and arrange an inspection. At this point a document called a 3-177 will be completed. It is a declaration of import/export of wildlife. This must be done with all animals regardless of whether they are listed under the Washington Convention (CITES).
    It is also possible and fairly common to have animals shipped first to a designated port for inspection and clearance, before heading on to the consignee. This is done when the shipper or recipient in the US is not near a designated port. It can however, sometimes get complicated and expensive because a broker can be required to transfer the shipment and arrange for fish&wildlife inspection. This is especially true if different air carriers are involved since Airlines are not obliged to move your cargo, especially into the hands of a competitive Airline. So if you need to hire a broker this can mean that your animals are being put into the hands of a middle man who might very well hate herps(or love them and steal your shipment). It's a bit scary to have someone opening your animals in the middle of their journey to your customer.

If the animals are CITES listed and are Appendix 2 you need to apply To the US department of the interior/F&W for a CITES export permit. This must then be stamped by a wildlife agent at the time of the inspection otherwise the permit is not valid...
    You will also now need (since I think bout 97) a US fish and wildlife IMPORT EXPORT license... you need to apply for it. It is $100.00us and is good for only one year. If you are not getting your inspection at a Designated port, but are using a border port you may also be required to apply for what's called an "Exception to Designated Port"permit. It's now also $100US bucks and is good for 2 years.

For Canadians taking animals into or out of the USA
    If you are taking animals across the border in a car, you need to apply for and obtain this US fish and wildlife IMPORT EXPORT license... and yes also the exception from designated port permit if you have more than just a few animals.

You must phone US F&W in advance and arrange for an inspection 48 hrs before you cross. An agent will be dispatched to the crossing of your choice(See the list of Border Ports) . You will be charged for the inspection. $55US standard, more if its CITES or outside of business hours.A 3-177 declaration will need to be presented at the time of the inspection. I recommend pre ordering this form from USF&W and filling them out ahead of time. It makes the wildlife agents happy and you are more likely to know the Scientific names, which must be shown on the declaration. It's also helpful to take a book with pictures to help verify the species.

If you are taking a lot of stuff into the US for personal delivery or to fly out of an American airport it may be considered a commercial shipment and this will also require a Customs Broker...I use PBB. (Peace Bridge Brokers)

Also, if you are taking CITES listed animals out of Canada you must first apply for and obtain a Canadian CITES Export permit. You will be required to prove legal origin to be granted this permit. Before crossing the border, you must first stop on the Canadian side and get Customs to validate it, otherwise it is not a legal CITES permit.

A complete list, with prices, of US Fish & Wildlife forms including CITES applications, licenses etc, can be found here

And info , printable permit applications and prices also can be found Here
    Chris

"Preparing For Fourth shed" Spankenstyne's Avatar

Additional info & links again as written up by Roy Stockwell:

General Info & explanations for US export/import
    http://www.fws.gov/le/ImpExp/CommWil...portExport.htm

http://www.fws.gov/le/ImpExp/Info_Im..._Exporters.htm

Inspection rates
    http://www.fws.gov/le/AboutLE/Propos...eIncreases.htm
    http://www.fws.gov/le/pdffiles/2010F...ationChart.pdf
    US CITES Permit application for Captive bred