Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: feeding frenzy

It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

Re: feeding frenzy

Thanks Don... I wasn't questioning your judgment or anything like that, just learning as I go here When I was feeding the boys together I was a bit paranoid that one would take a bite out of the other. Now I'm wondering if it's really not that big of a deal as long as they're watched closely to make sure they let go. It may even be good for them to realize that their cage mate is not food from an early age. So, if they don't let go, then what? How hard is it to separate them? I'm guessing not very hard, but how's it done so as not to hurt either?

Thanks!!! Always learning
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.

In Hog Heaven

I'm looking forward to the answer. Not in a "GOTCHA!" way, but in I need to know for my own education.

I know when Peeps bites me, I just have to let him. Well, even if Kenabec and Niizh did, too. Because you can't pull them off as you can pull out teeth, damage teeth, etc., and then they can/could get mouth rot.

So, I'm thinking... I'd just have to watch if a snakey bit a snakey and as soon as the one let go, seperate them? I mean, you couldn't pull it off the other, could you? That's the same as pulling it off one's self. Right?

So, what do you do?
    2.0 NY Eastern Garters; Peepers, Jeepers
    3.1 Western Hoggies; Kenabec, Niizh, Kokopelli, Anasazi
    3.0 Puget Garters; Kunikpok, Tungortok, 'Rockster
    1.0 Eastern Milk; Carmello

I am not obsessed.... GartersRock's Avatar

Well I just carefully "pull them off" by pushing the head gently forward. Thats the key. Their teeth are aimed backwards. I have never had problems doing this the teeth just slide out. Just go slow at first to figure out the angle and you should figure it out.

You really should gently pull snakes apart because you never know when they might procede to continue to eat the other and the further they go the harder it will be to pull them apart in the end and risk even more injury to both snakes.
    Amanda Tolleson

In Hog Heaven

Ah, HAH! A light bulb moment! Makes sense. The going forward - and REALLY makes sense about not waiting too long. At least with the biting of other snakes.

With me, I let him have his pleasure, the booger. I can't feel it and a blow (poof of air, NOT a HIT!) in the face or water on him gets him off. I'd rather do this with me over running the risk of hurting Peepers in anyway. Like I said, different with another snake involved.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not obsessed.... GartersRock's Avatar

Cool!

Yes, I just let all my babies bite me and so far that has helped them to realize it doesn't help their cause. I don't care. But I think they enjoy it while it lasts!
    Amanda Tolleson

Thanks Amanda...I understand the concept and it sounds relatively easy. Is it as easy as it sounds? Just don't panic, push forward to release teeth, then gently pull away?

I truly enjoy feeding the babies by hand, but even with just 2 it takes 45 minutes or so from start to finish. There are times when it would be convenient to feed them together. Another question... Anyone leave live fish in a tank with unattended multiple snakes? When I come across them, maybe every 6 weeks, I buy a dozen or so rosy reds and leave them in sly's dish. I'd love to do this with guppies(assuming I can ever find any) for the babies, but is leaving them unattended with the fish an absolute "No Way"?

Thanks guys!
    Tami

In Hog Heaven

Ja'Tami!!!!!!!!!! So
    Last edited by Garter_Gertie; 09-06-2008 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Fat fingers? Sorry. I kept hitting this post thingy.

So? No? Gertie?
    Tami

In Hog Heaven

Ja'Tami!!!!!!!!!! So glad you asked! About the live fish in the tank thingy!

I dumped about six feeder guppies in Peeps and Jeeps 'swimming pool' last weekend and I've still got three left! Fed them yesterday!

I've got a mini aquarium in my snake tank!

I never see Peeps and Jeeps. Never. Well, not NEVER. I see Jeeps stick his head out of a hide ever third day or so. I sonly see them when I go in to abuse them by holding them, kissing them, etc.

So far, the guppies in the swimming pool has worked and there has not been WWIII.
    Last edited by Garter_Gertie; 09-06-2008 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Steve... "Guppies HAVE worked..." NOT "has worked." LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Garter_Gertie View Post
    So far, the guppies in the swimming pool has worked and there has not been WWIII.
    LOL That's good! I wish I could tell my boys apart. Someday I have one, at least I think it's the same one, who cruises the tank a couple times a day. Both will come out and get water occasionally. Seeing them both out together is a nice treat The one seems barely bothered by my presence, the other scoots off asap if he spots me. I've only had to tear the tank apart once looking for one of them. I was starting to get panic-y, but found him eventually OH, something to try! Try misting the enclosure with water. Get everything just a little damp. This brought both of my boys out to check everything out. I'm sure it's some sort of built in feeding response. Give it a shot and let me know what happens

Btw, I live in a very hot/dry climate and use a basking lamp. If you're in a more humid area and the substrate/furnishings won't dry out quickly this may not be a good idea...

I've got a little baby snakie out and about right now
    Last edited by jitami; 09-06-2008 at 11:20 AM. Reason: guess I should add a bit of a disclaimer...
    Tami