Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    "PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Re: Experience with provent-a-mite

Quote Originally Posted by AntTheDestroyer View Post
    It was certainly unlucky. All in all I think everyone's experience is valid.
    Oh, absolutely. I think it's a good thing to have threads like this so people know that there is a very unlikely chance of it happening, and what to do immediately if they see the signs that their snake is having a reaction.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

It's a sad state of affairs what happened Ant and you know how heartfelt I was. I remember using Pam years ago on enclosures with some of my adult garters and having one of my male garters being exposed. He suffered some neurological symptoms but pulled through over time. Yes, I think the manufacturers should specify on the can and in the literature about dosage requirements for snakes 0 to 1year of age one way or the other. Until your experience I always thought there was only one dose requirement. But when you think about it pediatric doses are different than adult doses. Again, I apologize and am glad we all got through this. Chalk it up to a learning experience, I have.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

I would like to chime in here unfortunately I was a little late, I use Hartz ultra guard flea and tick powder for dogs or cats works fine.I simply pull everything out of the cage no bedding hides water dishes anything.I put a light dusting of the powder in the cage and put the snake back in, I leave them in the bare cage with the powder for a week never had an incident and it kills the mites extremely quick.

I wouldn't advise using anything on reptiles that isn't specifically produced for reptiles... I don't know the specifics of what's in the flea powder, and if it works for you you can keep doing it, but IMO it's dangerous to recommend non-reptile products especially when it's not something a lot of people have experience with.
    (ie: Betadine isn't a reptile-specific product, but hundreds and even thousands of reptile keepers use it, so there's a lot of info on it. If only one person has experience using something it's just not enough info to recommend it, especially when you're dealing with toxins)

Not trying to bash you or start an argument, just putting a disclaimer out there in case someone who isn't very experienced is reading the thread.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

I understand I was hesitant myself when I tried it.It worked though no issues, other than that I recommend reptile spray above PAM.Never trusted PAM have heard many cases of snakes passing away.

Quote Originally Posted by jere000 View Post
    I understand I was hesitant myself when I tried it.It worked though no issues, other than that I recommend reptile spray above PAM.Never trusted PAM have heard many cases of snakes passing away.
    What species do you know of that have died from PAM? So far I've only heard about it in garters. I thought it had something to do with them having crazy high metabolisms for snakes and extra-sensitive kidneys (same reason they can be so sensitive to salts), so I'd be interested in the other species and how often it happens to see if garters really are more sensitive to it.
    Lora

I have heard of it happening with ball pythons and boa several times, as well as a brazilian rainbow boa(I think a hognose a well).It happens more so then I' like, so I've never used it.This is technically all hear say at this point, as all of this was years ago when I was more active on forums and what not.