Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    "PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Re: Blackneck Garter Acting Strange/Freaking Out

The pinky mice both mice and rat have little available calcium for a adult garter. Mice pinks have less than rats but as long as the diet includes other available prey it's fine.The garter does look healthy thats why I am surprised to hear of what he feeds her.Even if you go by the 10- 15% feeding guide or the girth of the snake certainly 3 mice pinks is inadequate. So , with that in mind I would think the garter should be larger.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

They did say she was wild-caught and that they've had her for five years... It's possible that she's quite old I guess. She looks pretty healthy, so I guess it's possible she's at the age where their metabolism starts to slow down. My oldest guy eats a ridiculously small amount and still looks pretty healthy.

Regardless, it definitely won't hurt to feed her a bit more, so you could try giving her more mice, or supplementing with nightcrawler treats throughout the week. If she is feeling hungrier than normal, that should calm her down a bit.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Never shed EasternBlackNeckedGarter's Avatar

Sorry I was away for so long. I'll clarify a few things. When she was found she was only about two feet, so I can't imagine she's over 7 years old. And yes, that is a rat pup on the tile. It was suggested to me to try feeding one since it's much larger but has little hair. She tried it out, but dragged it over to the other side of the tank and dropped it. I had another mouse thawing for a boa, so I figured I'd try that, just to get some food into her. The rat was rinsed off and went to a blood python.
    So, should I try one or two more pinkies, a few fuzzies, try rat pups again, or supplement nightcrawlers?
    Daniel
    16 | Artist | Herpetologist | Photographer | Educator | Purveyor of Reptilian Goods | Austin, TX!
    https://instagram.com/afroherpkeeper/
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/afroherpkeeper/shop

The rat pup might explain some of her behavior since rat has such a distinct smell. The new smell, owner being gone, new person caring for her, someone over the top of her while she's eating. This all could explain the musking situation. Just a thought. The rat pup recognition wasn't mine but Steve Schmidt. Thanks Steve for your input to this situation.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee