Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RSPCA in UK

Re: RSPCA in UK

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan-A View Post
    In this country that would probably count as an illegal threat.
    oh, it would here too
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

"Preparing For Second shed"

Heh, feel bad for the strict laws over there =(

"PM Boots For Custom Title" CrazyHedgehog's Avatar

Its problematic as the RSPCA are supposed to be there for animal welfare, but I thought that rats and mice actually come under a different law? (welfare of laboratory animals or something similar), especially when bred for feeding purposes in bulk?

i did research it and also question the RSPCA when I started my mouse farm...(small shed with 24 cages... each cage (well a transformed plastic tub) with between 2 and 5 mice)
    At first the RSPCA were not very helpful, but once I pointed out that I had looked into the law, and was going to go ahead anyway, but would prefer to do it under their guidelines....then they were more helpful.

yes they are purely for reptile food...but yes I have bought them wheels and toys, they are fed and water is changed daily, cleaned thoroughly every weekend and as needed in the week, never left smelly....they even get dog buscuits as treats!!!....(I know i know... but if they are to be eaten, at least let them have a little fun first!!)

My main worry would be are these genuine RSPCA ? (not just a wierdo gaining entry? ) if your friends are using lab cages (which are widely available - how many rats per cage? maybe they just have a problem with over crowding...Or maybe just a new guy in the job...
    Definately check out the lab animals law..

"PM Boots For Custom Title"

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyHedgehog View Post
    Its problematic as the RSPCA are supposed to be there for animal welfare, but I thought that rats and mice actually come under a different law? (welfare of laboratory animals or something similar), especially when bred for feeding purposes in bulk?

i did research it and also question the RSPCA when I started my mouse farm...(small shed with 24 cages... each cage (well a transformed plastic tub) with between 2 and 5 mice)
    At first the RSPCA were not very helpful, but once I pointed out that I had looked into the law, and was going to go ahead anyway, but would prefer to do it under their guidelines....then they were more helpful.

yes they are purely for reptile food...but yes I have bought them wheels and toys, they are fed and water is changed daily, cleaned thoroughly every weekend and as needed in the week, never left smelly....they even get dog buscuits as treats!!!....(I know i know... but if they are to be eaten, at least let them have a little fun first!!)

My main worry would be are these genuine RSPCA ? (not just a wierdo gaining entry? ) if your friends are using lab cages (which are widely available - how many rats per cage? maybe they just have a problem with over crowding...Or maybe just a new guy in the job...
    Definately check out the lab animals law..

that wasn't my friend i got the link off another forum and it was his mate lol

"Third shed, A Success" GarterGirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drache View Post
    that seems a bit severe
    Yea
    That's terrible
    Maybe lulu can help them with a little money
    or...
    nevermind
    That's not a good idea
    MIKHAILA

"Third shed, A Success" GarterGirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drache View Post
    oh, it would here too
    Yep!
    It would
    definitely
    MIKHAILA

Hi, I'm New Here!

Hello... only me....

just a quickie...

I took on the gerbils from the old guys... and tbh.. i am saddened beyond measure by the appalling state they are in.

The rspca should have taken the lot then and there. as keepers they flipping sicken me those people do.

gerbils.. up to 8 a box.. in selotapted together cardboard and plastic boxes.. mummified corpses sunken in the bedding, the bedding was just food and faeces.. there were babies trying to suckle from dead mothers for christ sake.. 14 gerbils in one tank, who were paired before, just taken out and dumped together in one small tank.. of course half were dead by the time i got to them... i still have a 3ft tank with 70, and another 14 carboard boxes taped into 8inchX6inch coffins to take.. i don't think i can go to their house. i do not trust what i would do. the smell in my van was incredible.. it took 3 hours before i could breath properly again, those poor poor animals being subjected to that every hour of every day of their sorry lives...

old is no excuse.. they make me sick sick sick that they keep thier animals like that and think its acceptable. it is NOT.

the arguement, of better off dead than in a cage.. in this case I AGREE with the antis..

f-'ing barbaric.. made rory and i sick to our stomach.. its NOT how it needs to be... rotton bar stewards..

Nerys

Nerys, welcome aboard.

Sounds like a well justified intervention. Can you tell us a bit more about the case?

"PM Boots For Custom Title"

hi Nerys
    welcome to the site and thanks for that.
    i can't see how people can do that to animals it discusting!!!!!

"PM Boots For Custom Title" CrazyHedgehog's Avatar

Oh that is horrible, and not quite how it was first portraid in the post that LuLu found.. poor things..well done Nerys!