Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned

Re: Lighting for Albino

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    Not sure what color they can see but they are equipped with cones and rod in the eyes so I don't think it's beyond reason to think they do.
    I would believe it's not the full spectrum of color though.
    Just my thoughts on the subject.
    Most reptiles have about the same range of vision that we do, only their range is shifted over to the blue/violet end of the spectrum a bit. That makes them unable to see a frequency of red light that we can see, but it also gives them the ability to see violet frequencies that are invisible to us. Red "nocturnal" reptile bulbs take advantage of that. It lets us see them at night but the light cannot be seen by them.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Its difficult to classify the vision of reptiles as a whole, since there is so much variation between the different species. However, a good portion of diurnal reptiles see much better than humans. They have a fourth type of cone (we have three) that actually allows them to see into the ultraviolet spectrum. Like Concinnusman said, there are some that do not see past about 600 nm (which is where the orange to red wavelengths begin) however, this is not true for all reptiles, let alone all snakes.

Snakes seem to have a pretty high degree of variation in vision. For instance, ball pythons have almost no cones, instead they have a huge percentage of short rods for vision. This isnt too surprising when you consider its a nocturnal animal. Thamnophis, however, have no rods whatsoever. That I am aware of there are only a few studies on their vision and both found sirtalis, marcianus and similis to not have any rods at all. Their peak absorption was around 550-600 nm, which means they do see red, just not as well as we humans do.

With albinos, often it is not that they see color any differently, rather that since they do not have any pigment in their irises, light affects them more. Red light is a longer wavelength and so it is possible that with your albino the red light is just more comfortable for it than white light. If you arent using the light for heat, you might actually want to get one of those silver dipped bulbs, a CHE or even those low light LEDs you mentioned. Or just do away with it altogether if there is a window nearby.

Good information. Thanks.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Banned

Sounds consistent with I've observed. I've yet to have an albino that wasn't irritated / avoided bright, white light. Some more sensitive than others though. Even most normal garters I've had, that have a tendency to come out only after dark or dusk, will come out under red light. They don't see it, or at least not as well as I do.

I think it's probably safe to assume that the snake is hiding under the carpet to avoid bright light. Switching to red should help.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

My albino is most active when the cage lights are off, at dusk and dawn.
    He prefers a light-proof black Styrofoam meat tray hide. One side is cut away against the glass so I offer can see him, and he hangs out most of the time in its shade.
    I use household 40 watts in reflector domes, and small second hand aquarium hood lights.

Quote Originally Posted by jarich View Post
    Its difficult to classify the vision of reptiles as a whole, since there is so much variation between the different species. However, a good portion of diurnal reptiles see much better than humans. They have a fourth type of cone (we have three) that actually allows them to see into the ultraviolet spectrum. Like Concinnusman said, there are some that do not see past about 600 nm (which is where the orange to red wavelengths begin) however, this is not true for all reptiles, let alone all snakes.

Snakes seem to have a pretty high degree of variation in vision. For instance, ball pythons have almost no cones, instead they have a huge percentage of short rods for vision. This isnt too surprising when you consider its a nocturnal animal. Thamnophis, however, have no rods whatsoever. That I am aware of there are only a few studies on their vision and both found sirtalis, marcianus and similis to not have any rods at all. Their peak absorption was around 550-600 nm, which means they do see red, just not as well as we humans do.

With albinos, often it is not that they see color any differently, rather that since they do not have any pigment in their irises, light affects them more. Red light is a longer wavelength and so it is possible that with your albino the red light is just more comfortable for it than white light. If you arent using the light for heat, you might actually want to get one of those silver dipped bulbs, a CHE or even those low light LEDs you mentioned. Or just do away with it altogether if there is a window nearby.

You've peaked my interest to read more about this. Would you please site what article, book or paper this information came from. Thanks.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Selkielass View Post
    My albino is most active when the cage lights are off, at dusk and dawn.
    Mine have always done that too, but then again I have a few normals that do it.

Great information! She seems to be coming out more with just the red light. Also when my room is dark during the day, there is still Proximus' light about 5 ft away, and the fish tank light about 6 feet away in front of her.
    ~* Emily *~
    Canis lupus familiaris- Tippy, Thamnophis proximus orarius- Proximus, Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis- Tallie

Hi, I'm New Here!

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post

You've peaked my interest to read more about this. Would you please site what article, book or paper this information came from. Thanks.
    Hey Steve,

No problem, glad to help. As for the articles I was talking to specifically geared towards Thamnophis species, start with these two:

Jacobs, GH et al (1992) Jrnl Comp Phys A, 170:6, 701-707

Sillman et al (1997) Jrnl Comp Phys A, 181:2, 89-101

Sillman and the rest were the same team that did the study on ball pythons a couple years later I think.

Thanks. Need the article title to find it or if have a link that would be great.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!