Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Trying to catch a milksnake

Quote Originally Posted by celticguitar View Post
    I had one until today an almost 3 footer I caught about 3 weeks ago It was just about to shed when I caught it and had a 3 smallish wounds on it's belly I treated the wounds and it had litle bit of a difficult time with it's shed so I helped it along. It was a quite beautiful Estern Milk but I could not get it to eat it refused both live and frozen smallish mice even after just shedding and it should have been hungry then .So not knowing when it's last meal was and not wanting to starve and stress it out to death I let it go back to it's home today. It wounds were completly healed and it was quite happy to go back home. too bad it was really calm easily handled I could have tried frogs but I decided to let go back. The spot I go to has tons of snakes mostly garter I see about 5-10 in about 100 foot walk along the pond. There are tons of frogs for them to eat. I have two small young common garters that I got from there that are doing quite well they eat well and have shed nicely. I saw larger specimens some between 3-4 feet in length that I caught looked at and let go because I didn't think at that size and age they would do well in captivity. Eastern Milks are nocturnal and feed at night so you probably won't find one out and about during the day I think the reason I found this one was because it was wounded.
    Dwight

Thanks for taking the time to care about and for that snake.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"First shed In Progress" CelestiHel's Avatar

Oh my, I am lousy with Milks! Are you near Vermont, I have one living in my oven that I would LOVE to find a new home for And no, totally not kidding. I can't get it out, it's in the works there somewhere where I can't find it. I only catch glimpses. I've caught two others in my house, and seen three more, including a fox eating one on my lawn. This is all since Memorial Day.

But seriously, these are most active in my house after dark...I usually seem them around 9:30/10:00 at night in the same places that I see garters. I think if you know where your garters are, and you go out at night, you'll be pleased with the results.

Helen
    Radical librarian & crazy cat lady extraoirdinaire | critter enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by CelestiHel View Post
    Oh my, I am lousy with Milks! Are you near Vermont, I have one living in my oven that I would LOVE to find a new home for And no, totally not kidding. I can't get it out, it's in the works there somewhere where I can't find it. I only catch glimpses. I've caught two others in my house, and seen three more, including a fox eating one on my lawn. This is all since Memorial Day.

But seriously, these are most active in my house after dark...I usually seem them around 9:30/10:00 at night in the same places that I see garters. I think if you know where your garters are, and you go out at night, you'll be pleased with the results.

Helen
    Thank you for the advice, (same goes to everybody!)

Jeepers, you're finding milk snakes in your house and I can't find a milk snake anywhere! I hope you find a way to get that snake out of your oven though...sounds very inconvenient.
    Which is more tempting: The fruit of knowledge or the possessed, talking serpent? DUH! - The Serpent!

"First shed In Progress" CelestiHel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GarterGeek View Post
    Jeepers, you're finding milk snakes in your house and I can't find a milk snake anywhere! I hope you find a way to get that snake out of your oven though...sounds very inconvenient.
    Since we can't bake in our broken oven, it's more inconvenient for the snake! I'm guessing he wound up in the house, got the attention of a cat, and scooted under there and has never been able to get out. I'm going to try to get him out while they're installing the new oven. Fingers crossed!
    Radical librarian & crazy cat lady extraoirdinaire | critter enthusiast

keep goin best of luck!!!
    ROBERT The Reptilian Teen

"growing old is mandatory

growing up is optional "