Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    "First shed In Progress"

Re: HELP: rescued snake w/object stuck in vent- what to do?

Thank you for that information Stefan. I wonder though, as there is definitely an object trapped there, likely the thing which caused the prolapse to begin with (maybe an impaction?) what will become of the situation if the prolapse is treated as per these instructions, yet the underlying cause, ie the object, is still there? Seems that unless the object itself comes out, which isn't looking like it will, then the prolapse will just turn septic and/or continue to exist as an impaction, prolonging the inevitable.
    I will consider this and see how she seems for the next little while, but...

Hi Sasha. It sounds as though you're already doing all the right things. If there is definitely some food or other object lodged in there, as you say obviously it has to come out. Maybe continued soaking and gentle manipulation of the blockage (you might be able to alter it's shape and make it easier to pass) will do the trick. If you're considering euthanasia anyway, it must be worth trying more drastic measures to remove that blockage first....you might just save a life. Good luck, keep us updated. Could you post a close up photo?
    James.

Never shed

Although I am a bit new to Garters, I actually second that-- if you maybe sent a picture, someone who knows a ton about them would see it and maybe get a better picture... you know, of the situation you've got here... I hope you can get that untamable poop out of her system before you have to put her down.... :'( I don't like it when an animal has to die... like one time in a wonderful and yet now closed pet shop there was a fenced in area with a dog on the floor that wasn't breathing, and I thought it was asleep until I saw the sign on the gate: Warning: Always wash hands after dog is put down. --- so sad for me, I was only 7!

"First shed In Progress"

As much as it pains me to say so, I have assisted the beautiful snakie in getting to where snakies go when their earthly time has ended. She had started bleeding and was becoming increasingly lacadaisical as the day progressed.
    I hadn't a camera here, as my roomie took the digital away with her on an overseas trip.
    It was very quick and painless for her, yet still brought me to tears (as I am again now as I type this) and she is now buried in the yard, near where she lived.
    I hope I did the best thing, under the circumstances. If I were to believe reincarnation to be possible, I would hope she will return again next summer as one of the many dozens of lovely snakies who inhabit my property here.

-S

Sorry about your loss. I'm sure you did the right thing, especially under those circumstances.

"PM Boots For Custom Title"

i am truley sorry for your loss hun but it sounded as if you did all you could. you tried your best and thats all anyone can ask of you.

Basilisk (The King of all Serpents) enigma200316's Avatar

Chin-up, it is better to have done then to let her suffer..........sorry for the lose........
    Justin

that's hard
    glad you ended her troubles
    outside she'd probably just gotten eaten
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

The Leader of the Eastern Gang anji1971's Avatar

Oh Sasha, I'm SO sorry, I was praying you would be able to help her. I can't even imagine having to do what you did- i don't know if I could handle that. And who knows,maybe there is some kind of snakie reincarnation, at least a little snake heaven somewhere for them. I find it hard to believe that all us who want to help take care of the little critters would have no comfort for it!
    Anji

"Third shed, A Success" ScimitarX's Avatar

So sorry for your loss, but under the circumstances i believe you did the right thing.
    Claire