Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blisters

Banned

Re: Blisters

You must be seeing a different picture. I see lumps actually pushing scales upward, and I see a huge crater where a lump has already opened up. Unless I'm hallucinating.

More pics please. One of them is completely useless.

Yes you are correct. The lumps are under the skin and pushing out but the large one is not a crater. There are no craters. The large looking one is a puss filled boil.

What I see in the first photo is old shed with water/moister behind it. Looking through the fluid is like looking through a magnifying glass. I've had a few of my girl get the same thing. If you also look up towards the head you'll see a few other places where the old shed is trying to come off. She's also very dull looking as if she needs to shed. A warm bath will rule out my theory and will not hurt the snake in any way.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Couple more pics. The white stuff on the boil itself is polysporin and NOT any leakage

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by garterking View Post
    C-man it's not a crater. It's a large pimple like thing and it seems to be growing. I put polysporin on and cleaned her home. Only a small bowl of water and papertowels now. I think it's best if I find her a vet tomorrow
    While I have seen water trapped behind old skin and I do see those signs, (try to help her shed NOW) I've never seen the problem go deeper than the thin layer of skin. The fact that lumps are under the scales too indicates something more serious.

Polysporin will do nothing except to keep open wounds moist and fight infection in them. It won't penetrate through skin.

Hopefully this clears up after you get that old skin off. This might have developed between old skin at first, but might have spread infection into the new skin and under the scales. Hopefully steve is right and all will be well once the skin is off. It won't hurt at all to give her a warm soak and/or shed box until you can see a vet.

That differently looks like an internal problem. Those photos clearly show that. Thanks for the additional photos. A Vet. visit is called for.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    That differently looks like an internal problem. Those photos clearly show that. Thanks for the additional photos. A Vet. visit is called for.
    Well I'm giving her a warm bath right now but I'm starting to think I should pop that big thing and see what comes out and maybe relieve some pressure

Quote Originally Posted by garterking View Post
    Well I'm giving her a warm bath right now but I'm starting to think I should pop that big thing and see what comes out and maybe relieve some pressure
    That would have to be your call. A Vet. may want to do a growth on it to determine a possible infection cause.
    Please keep us informed.
    She's in our prayers.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

I encountered this once... I took my snake to the vet.

I had to give oral antibiotics for a week and apply silvadine ointment.

Get that snake to see a vet ASAP.

figure on spending about 100-150 dollars on treating this.

With proper care (vet) this will clear up just fine.

Banned

I'm having a hard time discerning if the fluid is actually under the scales and erupting out under the clear layer of skin or what the heck is going on. IF you break just the clear layer of skin (the part that comes off during a shed) it probably wouldn't hurt but won't help either. That looks like some serious pus pockets under the scales and has been there for some time but is only now reaching the surface.

I wouldn't mess with it and get her to a vet ASAP. If she really is retaining an old shed it shouldn't be that difficult to get it to start separating in places. If there is pus under the scales, causing those lumps, she will die if not treated. Might die anyway.

Her only chance is immediate treatment with the correct dosage and type of antibiotics. Some of those boils might need to be opened up.

Is she WC? what does she eat? any chance of tick bites or mites?