Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Re: Indonesian Garters

Quote Originally Posted by drache View Post
    as to the xenochrophis - Shannon is right
    the likelihood that these are cb is pretty much zilch, which means that these are no better than the nine buck ones from the florida importer

thank you, that is what I was trying to say. unforunately, I have some disorder that prevents me from being able to state my point in a single sentence or two!!!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

And_Lyn

Re: My petco dialogue so far ...

That works for us

Re: My petco dialogue so far ...

surprise surprise! the same exact, word for word response I got!!!

That look really good on petco's part!

especially the "first" part!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

Re: Returned the keelback to Petco...

Quote Originally Posted by dekaybrown View Post
    However I consider being called a geek or nerd a compliment
    Just don't call him a dork
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.

"Third shed, A Success" MasSalvaje's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    from a professional point of view, this is not a molehill, especially to a company who could have a lawsuit on their hands if this mildly venomous snake bites one of their customers and they react negatively to it. It hapened with the lyre snake, it's happened with other keelbacks, it can easily happen here. And if it's then found that it could have been prevented if things had been researched properly, things can really get out of control. The point that needs to get across to them, is that it's not okay for them to be selling them as one thing, when they are a totally different animal. These are NOT generic anyone-can-care-for-one cornsnakes and kingsnakes that are normally sold at pet stores. They sure as hell should not be available to the unknowing general public, especially not labeled as the innocent garter snakes that everyone remembers picking up out of their yard as a kid.
    I am completely with you on your mis-representation rant, but I have to disagree with you about the Venom aspect of your arguement. In the reports that I have read Xenochrophis venom is no more dangerous than Thamnophis venom which is known to cause swelling and irritation around the the affected area.

-Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by MasSalvaje View Post
    I am completely with you on your mis-representation rant, but I have to disagree with you about the Venom aspect of your arguement. In the reports that I have read Xenochrophis venom is no more dangerous than Thamnophis venom which is known to cause swelling and irritation around the the affected area.

-Thomas

the venom itself is mild to negligible in both, 99% of people will have no reaction but I was referring to the one person who has a serious, allergic reaction to it and dies. Lyre snakes have a "harmless" venom just like thamnophis and xenochrophis, but a small boy was keeping one as a pet in cali, and it bit him and he ended up going into shock and dying. Simlilar things have happened with members of Rhabdophis. Rhabdophis were once all considered "no more dangerous" than garters". Things happen, and sadly usually they are the only way we can REALLY learn about these creatures. It can, and does happen, and if it happens with one of these snakes, and they are misrepresented on top of it, that can mean BIG problems. Prevention, education, and respect for the species is key. Little detail is known about xenochrophis...That is the aspect that really concerns me, and there's no arguing that it's not something to really consider.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Loren's Avatar

I sent an email to Petco the other night, about the topic of this thread, and actually got a reply- saying they had refered the matter to the proper people. Not expecting it to help, but thought it couldnt hurt.
    I did mention "mildly venomous" and "potential lawsuit". Figured that might catch some attention.

Shannon, do you have any info or links on the lyre bite? Thats the first I've heard of it.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Loren's Avatar

Re: My dialouge with CalZoo (petco's supplier)

I posted this in another thread already- but I sent Petco an email about this also. Mentioned "mildly venomous" and "potential lawsuit." I did get a reply saying it had been refered to the proper people. Wont help, but worth a shot.

try googling it maybe? i've read it a few places from sources I could not possibly remember or find the link to (in a reasonable amount of time)

it's supposed to be the reason that they outlawed the keeping of lyre snakes in california.

was able to pull up this link from google really quickly before I head to bed, it simply mentions that some have had unpleasant reactions...
    Trimorphodon biscutatus lyrophanes - Baja California Lyresnake