Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    "PM Boots For Custom Title" Loren's Avatar

Re: Califor. King Snake

cause he said he hadnt ket one, but he had kepts bulls.

I personally keep my kings like corns, and my corns like kings- although I do keep my kings separately, and do sometimes keep my corns together.
    Sorry for the ramble, but I had to make up some b.s. so I could post my 1000'th post.

Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    I personally keep my kings like corns, and my corns like kings- although I do keep my kings separately, and do sometimes keep my corns together.
    Sorry for the ramble, but I had to make up some b.s. so I could post my 1000'th post.
    *Claps.*
    Hooray.
    I think your custom title should be Kaptain King Snake after this little discussion. :P

Also... I keep my corns in pairs... 2.0 and 0.2, of course.
    0.1 Storeria dekayi
    Hoping to get some T. s. sirtalis High-Reds next summer!

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Standard colubrid care is just a term used to describe the most commonly kept colubrids and how they basically all need the same basic things. When someone says standard colubrid care to me, I equate that in my head as an appropriately sized cage with aspen as substrate, a hidebox or two, a mid sized water bowl just large enough for the snake to curl up in, and a decent sized rodent once per week. Anything else, like pants and deco is jsut icing on the cake, and not needed. No tropical temperatures and humidifiers constantly running, no need for heavily planted terraria, not a specialized diet or a fast metabolism. Many, many colubrids fall into this category and that is why people say it. I hear it all the time at shows, and I myself use the term, while I still acknowledge the fact that not all colubrids fit into this term.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

well said

Thanks for your help.

"Preparing For Second shed"

like the care for a corn if i remember rightly

The King Snake.co.uk - King Snake Care Sheet
    try this link

"Preparing For First shed" tyflier's Avatar

"Standard Colubrid Care" usually means the general North American Colubrids that are regualrly available in the pet trade, meaning Pantherophis, Lampropeltis, Pituophis, and MAYBE a few of the Asian Elaphe species of ratsnake.

In other words...85*F on the hot end, room temp on the other, aspen or coconut as a substrate, a hide on each end, water dish, and appropriately sized prey about once a week. Considering the sheer number of species encompassed in the above 3-4 Genera of snakes...it's a fairly safe generalization to make.

Yes, Hypsiglena, Salvadora, Tantilla, and many, many other species are also colubrids. But they are not readily available or easily attainable to the "general public" as a pet.

In other words...if you walk into a pet shop and see it, it probably falls within the three main classifications...Pantherophis, Lampropeltis, and Pituophis. The only real exception to the "standard care" that is readily available in the pet trade would be Thamnophis.

I have a caresheet posted on my website, along with many tips and tricks that should EASILY get you and a Cali settled in together quite nicely. Any other questions, feel free to shoot me a line.

Quote Originally Posted by tyflier View Post
    The only real exception to the "standard care" that is readily available in the pet trade would be Thamnophis.
    You can also add Heterodon and Nerodia. Diadophis and Storeria don't seem to be too rare within the hobby, either.

If there are exceptions, it's not a standard at all. It is misleading to talk about standard colubrid care, if it only applies to a certain segment of the family.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan-A View Post
    You can also add Heterodon and Nerodia. Diadophis and Storeria don't seem to be too rare within the hobby, either.

If there are exceptions, it's not a standard at all. It is misleading to talk about standard colubrid care, if it only applies to a certain segment of the family.
    I guess, it's the US we're talking about
    of course it might be different in other states, but . . .
    when you go to reptile shows here, you're not likely to see much outside the "standard" species alluded to
    the thamnophis, nerodia, storeria, heterodon species collectively comprise about 1% of the snakes at the shows, and over half of that would be heterodon, so for most people here none of them would be considered "standard" colubrids
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain