Thread: Chicken?

"Preparing For First shed" nessy's Avatar

Question Chicken?

Hi everybody!

This might sound really stupid, but is it OK to feed my garter pieces of chicken or any other types of meat to form a better balanced diet, because she takes anything that smells like fish. if so, should i include bone? (such as a small chick-leg or -wing)

I am currently feeding mine exclusively on fish because i dont want her to get any parasites from earthworms.

thanks guys, this forums the best!!!!!!!

"PM Boots For Custom Title" CrazyHedgehog's Avatar

Re: Chicken?

Really not sure about chicken...but whatever you feed should be Whole food and include bone matter...I feed on a mix of trout and pinkies/mice(a lot more mice than fish)
    rub the pinkie with fish to make it smell fishy, before you know it they will just take pinkies..the advantage is that it has a good mix of flesh and bone matter for a healthy diet..

Chicken should be OK since many garter species will take small nestling birds in the wild. However, when you cook chicken you destroy many of the nutrients in it and I don't know if salmonella poisoning would be possible if you fed it raw. You're best bet is to feed fish and mice. I always have worms in the diet of my snakes especially when they are young. I've never "knowingly" had problems with parasites.
    ThamnophisWest.com - Breeder of select garter snake species from the western United States.

Dutch, bold and Thamnophis-crazy Thamnophis's Avatar

The feeding of chicken is ok for Thamnophis.
    In our Reptilezoo we feed the fish-eating snakes amongst others also chikenmeat.
    They sometimes get boneless chickenmeat (chickenfilet?) and sometimes they get pieces of a wing or so with the bone included.
    Ofcourse you must watch for sharp endings of the bones!
    On the chickenmeat (with or without bone) we always put some vitamin/mineral/calcium powder.
    It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner. Frank Zappa

Dutch, bold and Thamnophis-crazy Thamnophis's Avatar

Personally I feed my Thamnophis which I keep at home, amongst others, chickenheart. For the large specimen you can use a whole heart and for the smaller ones you can give pieces.
    In Holland these are sold as food for cats.
    I buy them fresh and freeze them in small portions so I can weekly thaw one portion.
    Ofcourse I put some vitamin/mineral/calcium powder on it.
    It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner. Frank Zappa

"Preparing For First shed" nessy's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Chicken?

THANX!!! u guys are great!