Juvenile snake

Mandarin Rat Snake

Hey guys,

Any body got idea about mandarin rat snakes’ attitude? Are they normally agressive or handlable?

thanks

Re: Mandarin Rat Snake

the only one I've ever handled seemed pretty mellow
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Loren's Avatar

from what I understand they are pretty secretive and shy, but I have never actually seen one in person. Had thought about breeding them a while back though. Wild caughts do very poorly in captivity, but captive borns are supposed to be quite a bit better.

The attitude is pretty 'laid-back' in my (limited) experience of these.... but, if they're wild caught, beware of the massive parasite load in this species!
    James.

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

mandarin rats have a temperment similar to many milksnakes... instead of the ratsnake approach of bite everything you see... they tend to be shy and hide their head and seem to be ery mellow adults. And yes as stated above beware teh aprasite load of WC specimens!!! MANY mandarin rats you see for sale are being sold as either WC or long-term captives! CB babies are occasionally available now, but they fetch a pretty penny. But IMO they would be the way to go! you'd have a fresh start with a less stressed snake. I looked into getting some of these guys myself but have decided to hold off at least until the breeding and hatching season is over this year Chances are we will see more mandarin rats this year and hopefully a small price drop!

Juvenile snake

thanks for the posts and the parasite for warning, i will actually be getting cb babies from brain at BHB this summer. Shy...would that mean just leave em alone or is some handling ok?

thanks again

Hi, I'm New Here!

They can and will stress out if they are handled....they are more of a "look at" species.
    Richard
    Nightmare Creatures
    Reptiles.Amphibians.Inverts

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Loren's Avatar

Yes, from what I understand, handling, as well as human/pet traffic around them, should be kept to a minimum. It is possible that they may remain hidden alot of the time. They also do not need or tolerate too much heat, doing better at temps a bit cooler than many snakes- if I remember right. A good snake for that bottom shelf in the far back corner of the room. Sure are pretty though.