Hi, I'm New Here!

Identifying worms

Hi!

Just got my first garter snake last week. T. sirtalis parietalis. He's a healthy, handsome guy, if a bit skittish still, and I absolutely adore him. So far I've tried feeding him salmon, but with no luck. He shows a bit of a feeding response, but then backs off. I have these worms that I purchased several months ago that I've been meaning to feed him, but I'm unable to identify them to know if they are safe or not. They're alive and well in a container in my fridge. They were bought at a reptile show, I've asked the seller but haven't received any answers.

Would any of you have any idea if these are safe or not?

Thanks a lot!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Identifying worms

Those look like redworms/compost worms. If so, don't use these. They produce a defensive chemical(fluid) that is toxic. What does the package call them? You need Canadian Nightcrawlers.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Hi, I'm New Here!

Re: Identifying worms

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    Those look like redworms/compost worms. If so, don't use these. They produce a defensive chemical(fluid) that is toxic. What does the package call them? You need Canadian Nightcrawlers.
    Thanks for the help. I was thinking the same thing. The package said nothing, and again, neither does the seller. I'm not gonna feed him these, I'll try and find some other ones that I know for sure are safe.