Ball Python Question

First off if this needs moved to another area, fine, wasn't sure where to stick this. So I could go to a BP forum and ask this there but I don't know anyone nor they I. Some of you I feel I've come to know since joining, and this forum has always had a family feel. So who do you go to when your thinking about making a move or change . I know we all love garter snakes, that's why we're here. But knowing that some of you have crossed this bridge before or maybe still keep some, it's your thoughts I would most appreciate. This is something I've been looking into for a couple years now. I think if I make this move (most likely next year) I want to start with 3 gene animals, a male and female that might never be paired, but if they were could make for a nice clutch. I'm a fan of lighter colored snakes. Pastel Mojave and Enchi Lesser. So what are some third genes that not only complement the two genes listed but if paired would make for a nice clutch if you are going to play the odds with six different genes? Thanks for any ideas or advice in advance.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BUSHSNAKE's Avatar

Re: Ball Python Question

hmmm, im no ball python guy so....those are all co-dom morphs? are the Mojaves a visual het for lucy? anyways Im not sure if you you can do much more on the color scheme so I say add pied!!

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

I breed bp's but I am no authority when it comes to genetics. I know that the enchi gene is a good choice to brighten up mostly any other combo. Pied is also a good choice to work into any project for sure. One of the newer complete dominant genes is the banana which has only been around for like 2 years or so. You definitely are on to something with the 3 gene combos. Good luck. Hope this helped. Right now I am just working with recessives, albino and pieds. I do have some dominant genes lined up for next year though. You can also think about putting the clown gene into your projects also.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Thanks Joe, thanks Albert. I love anything albino or pied. The ball game has been going on long enough now that it just seems to me that a three gene animal is where you want to be if your going to do it. So many choices out there your head spins looking at all of them. The banana is very nice, another newer to the scene that I like is the bamboo. Lots of research yet to do, not jumping into anything lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan72 View Post
    Thanks Joe, thanks Albert. I love anything albino or pied. The ball game has been going on long enough now that it just seems to me that a three gene animal is where you want to be if your going to do it. So many choices out there your head spins looking at all of them. The banana is very nice, another newer to the scene that I like is the bamboo. Lots of research yet to do, not jumping into anything lightly.
    Cool, three genes are the more pricey morphs but definitely worth the effort. Make sure you check out the bongo gene also and factor that into your future projects. It brightens and defines other colors and patterns. Pricey too. Good luck Dan. I will stay in touch.

Never shed

I'd select pinstripe for the third mutant. It is a complete dominant mutant.

Pinstripe - Morph List - World of Ball Pythons

I'd skip any recessive genes. YMMV.

Two web sites to look into.
    World of Ball Pythons
    ball-pythons.net

Good luck.

Smile Re: Ball Python Question

Quote Originally Posted by paulh View Post
    I'd select pinstripe for the third mutant. It is a complete dominant mutant.

Pinstripe - Morph List - World of Ball Pythons

I'd skip any recessive genes. YMMV.

Two web sites to look into.
    World of Ball Pythons
    ball-pythons.net

Good luck.
    Recessives are a great project. Of the more than 3800 different morphs recessives are factored into quite a few of the morphs. The top 70 morphs include albino are you kidding me??? The recessive clown gene is a very intense project going on right now. Do I need to say anything about the pied gene? You tell me. Good luck Dan! Check out Wickedpythons.com and see what recessives they are working with and then go to VMS pythons for genetic worth and marketability.