Thread: Hi^^

Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi^^

Hi!
    My name is monica, moni works, or rattus knits like on here (that's the name of my etsy shop haha)

I've been catching garters since i was little and decided to keep some/possibly breed, so a friend of mine went to a captive breeder up in Maine where she got hers a few years back and brought some down for me to choose from and then she will take the rest to add to her breeding stock.

I also breed feeder mice (though they are treated more like pets with all sorts of toys and hidies) and i have four pet rats, some chickens, a horse, a cat, a painted turtle and a box turtle

I love making friends and would love advice, i've been doing a lot of research on garters as pets and it seems there's a lot of controversy over diet and the like, so i'd love to hear others opinions and pointers!

Re: Hi^^

Welcome.
    What controversy? Please explain.
    Here's a link to the forum care sheet
    Garter Snake Forum - Garter Caresheet
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Welcome.

No controversy over diet is there? . Feed them a varied diet which could include rodents, earthworms and various fish options.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Hi, I'm New Here!

Well i did read the care sheet for this site, i've also read a few others and i've read worms arn't great nutritionally, fish can carry parasites if they are not first frozen (which if my snake won't eat frozen then thawed these would be a no go right?) amphibians are hard to come by and are also riddled with parasites, i've heard slugs are ok but again not very easy to find as far as store bought and they are only available for catching for a few months here in new england. So to me it would seem that for a good diet if the snake accepts mice then that would be better nutritionally and wouldn't rely on supplementation with powders or carry as high a parasite load. I mean to me like why would i feed worms i guess? Like aside from because they eat them in the wild and they like them? Like how much nutritionally do they help the snake? Also i've read that worms and fish lead to more watery feces in snakes (not that i really mind the smell but still...) so again aside from an occasional snake to change things up so the snake doesn't get bored why would i offer these as a "meal" instead of a snack?

^obviously i'm new to this but from what i've gathered from all over the place, and i have read some people that recommend fish as the best for these snakes, and others that say other things as the staples and what not, but to me it would seem like the risks and lack of nutrition would make it seem like mice would be a good staple and the rest would be added in to supplement the diet

*controversy wasn't really a good word, i guess just that there are a lot of opinions on what should be the staple and what should be the add ins*

As with most animals a varied diet affords the best opportunity to acquire the nutrients needed.
    I live in an area with a heavy T. radix - plains garter population and they feed almost exclusively on night crawlers and grow big and healthy. I think worms are one of the best foods you can feed. They may be a lot of water but whatever is left is some good stuff.
    If you were to feed a diet consisting of worm, fish and pinkies with some calcium sup. I don't think you would get an argument from any on that being balanced. Some slugs as treats would be nice, if your snake/s will eat them.
    Frozen thawed fish is safer then fresh caught. Toads, frogs and salamanders are problematic to say the least and that's not taking into consideration their numbers are in a decline.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

My snakes eat fish (fresh caught minnows from our stream), frozen fish, salmon, night crawlers and pinkies. I don't notice any smell in their tanks. They have to be the least stinkiest pet I have ever kept. The only time there is an odor is when the substrate gets wet and when it is very hot, like now But the smell is the substrate, not their poop! Also, must remove any uneaten food in this weather. That is one nasty smell if left overnight!
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

Welcome aboard.