Hi, I'm New Here!

Food and feeding habits, is this normal?

So Viper is still doing well, very curious to watch the family while people are active in the living room. When Viper is handled s(he) is very mobile but stops the darting away within seconds. I am not worried about that. What I am concerned about is up until today we have been offering small earth worms every 2 days (Viper seems to eat every 4th to 5th day).
    Today is day 3 and we purchased some night crawlers to chop up (these things are big worms compared to the snake, but they have been cut in pieces about the size of the snakes head or smaller). At first Viper was super interested in the smell, was biting the food bowl itself where some worm guts were, and then slithered into the bowl bit a piece of worm. After this my snake let go and and continued to circle the bowl but has not attempted to strike/eat again. Her activity level has increased 100% with the worms in the vivarium on offer (as though she is very hungry) except she has yet to attempt to bite, let alone eat another piece of worm.
    Is there something wrong?

Re: Food and feeding habits, is this normal?

Try feeding your original earthworms and see what happens.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Hi, I'm New Here!

Wow, thanks! I guess the night crawlers were just that tiny bit to bit. Dropped a couple earth worms in and they eaten within seconds. She had me a little worried, to be honest. Now if we could just get her to calm down when initially being picked up and handled.

Earthworms and night crawlers have a different scent and probably taste. You could use one of the earth worms as scenting material. Put it in a dish and cut it up and in a little water, now you've got earthworm soap for scenting the night crawler.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee