"Preparing For Second shed" gibble888's Avatar

handling breeders

I have seen a couple of places that you are not supposed to handle snakes that you intend to breed. I understand if the female is prego or is it another reason?

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Re: handling breeders

It's not something I've ever heard. I think you'll find that people around here handle their gravid snakes in the same way as non-gravid snakes. To not handle a gravid female would compromise her care wouldn't it? Maybe cut down on unnecessary handling but not avoid it entirely.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Ok good,i just wanted to make sure i wasnt missing something.i think i saw it on a caresheet somewhere(the ones that say to feed garters crickets and goldfish) but i had to check...thanks

I think handling a female that is very soon to give birth could cause undue stress on some snakes. Then there are others where it doesn't matter. My girl Speckle gave birth in my arms. She rested on my arms and I caught them as they came out. I tried to set her back in the enclosure but she kept coming back to my arms.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

My Abby got Cranky and didn't like being touched when she was near giving birth- she flicked her tail to indicate annoyance, so I let her be. My butlers garters gave little indication they were gravid or that they minded gentle handling before they gave birth.

I wouldn't let a gravid female be squeezed by inexperienced handlers or overexuberant children.

The caresheet i read was more about the snakes that tou are going to breed not gravid per say,but thats obviously not the case with you guys,and this is the best place for garter info period! Thanks lots