Thread: cage clips

cage clips

Should I use these or just put something heavy on the corners?
    Sam

"Preparing For Fourth shed" snake man's Avatar

Re: cage clips

It really doesn't matter in my opinion.
    0.1 Red axanthic x red radix

I like to use screen clips. The ones by Four Paws. Unfortunately, they stopped making these and Zilla clips SUCK!!! I'd try to find a pair online if I were you.
    -Greg
    1.1T.s. concinnus, 1.1 T.s. parietalis, 1.0 T.s. semifasciatus, 0.1 T. radix
    "Garters are predictable. Predictably variable" - Neil Balchan

Apply them and see how it seals. Then decide.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

Either works. I have one lid with a door in the middle- I prefer clips with this lid.
    I find clips in two shapes. One is a 90 degree angle with inward facing turns that grip under the plastic rim of the tank and the metal frame of the lid. These require a lot of hand strength to remove.

The other style is a round shape that acts like a spring with straight ends that wedge under and grip plastic rim and metal frame. These are easier to place securely and remove for access, but your rim has to have space between plastic and glass in which to wedge the clip lip.

Clips are a pain to position properly, but work well when you want to slow down impulse opening of the tank. (Around kids and public.)

Do be sure weights are sufficient. Big garters can exert a surprising amount of force by wedging their noses and bodies into lid crevices.

I guess I just stick with the bricks
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Selkielass View Post
    Either works. I have one lid with a door in the middle- I prefer clips with this lid.I find clips in two shapes. One is a 90 degree angle with inward facing turns that grip under the plastic rim of the tank and the metal frame of the lid. These require a lot of hand strength to remove.The other style is a round shape that acts like a spring with straight ends that wedge under and grip plastic rim and metal frame. These are easier to place securely and remove for access, but your rim has to have space between plastic and glass in which to wedge the clip lip.Clips are a pain to position properly, but work well when you want to slow down impulse opening of the tank. (Around kids and public.)Do be sure weights are sufficient. Big garters can exert a surprising amount of force by wedging their noses and bodies into lid crevices.
    Personally, I like the first type of clips. I use these...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Greg
    1.1T.s. concinnus, 1.1 T.s. parietalis, 1.0 T.s. semifasciatus, 0.1 T. radix
    "Garters are predictable. Predictably variable" - Neil Balchan

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

I like the clips made by zilla. They are really easy to use and function perfectly once you learn how to use them properly. I will not buy anything distributed by four paws... for various reasons. Truthfully I don't use hardly any tanks anymore... I will eventually phase them out completely. They functioned, for a time, and I found myself growing weary of top access caging.... plus they're hard to clean! Enclosures with front door access are priceless and worth their weight in gold! I will likely outfit the future snakeroom (once we get our house) with visions, exo terras, and tetrafauna also makes a really nice enclosure with sliding glass doors. I will probably do a mixture of the glass enclosures and visions to cope with having arboreals and terrestrials. I am leaning more and more towards also having a lizard room, and I will probably outfit the entire room in exoterras or a similar cage and also some full screen caging. I really want to get into keeping abronia and some other things with legs.

Actually as long as these guys are still around I may outfit both rooms with enclosures made by these guys: Protean Terrarium Design

their pricing is very realistic.

But back to the subject of clips.... I like the zilla ones and I must have 10 pairs of those things lying around here.... unfortunately though now they are useless to me! What I should do is round them up and send them off to someone who could use them.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Greg'sGarters View Post
    Personally, I like the first type of clips. I use these...
    I prefer slide lock tanks, but for after-market screens made for aquariums, I also use the same kind you do Greg. They didn't come with instructions of any kind but I eventually figured them out. The key is to bend them (to adjust) so they clamp tight. Also, gotta use one on all 4 sides of the lid. A pain to get into the tank but this frees up the top for overhead lights.

But I suppose bricks work too as long as they're heavy enough. Don't underestimate the strength a snake has to wedge his head under the screen. If he can manage that, he could get stuck if the bricks are heavy, but not heavy enough.