Hi, I'm New Here!

Help converting enclosure

I have a bookshelf style rack that I built to hold 6 qt tubs, but I've decided to go another direction and I would like to convert this to a home for garters.

The enclosure has solid plywood back, sides, top and bottom (nice 3/4") I am going to paint the interior to prevent water issues. I just need some help with putting some kind of a door on the front, and suggestions for getting heat in there (basking bulb possibly?) .

When I take out the shelves and move things the way I want to the enclosure will be 36 x 16 x 24, which I'm hoping is enough for 1.2 Florida Blue Stripes. I'll likely have another home made for the male so when the females are gravid down the road he won't be harassing them, but I've got fish tanks with lids lying around for that, this is going to be a nice looking display in my reptile room/home gym.

Smells Like Teen Spirit Invisible Snake's Avatar

Re: Help converting enclosure

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisnif View Post
    I just need some help with putting some kind of a door on the front, and suggestions for getting heat in there (basking bulb possibly?)
    You could try adding flexwatt heating tape instead of a basking bulb, and use LED lights for lighting? Just a thought.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Light of Dae's Avatar

You could use a hole saw for where ever you wanted your light and then to make it secure get some Metal Mesh, like for a screen door and cover the hole. That way your light can shine through but no dear snakes can get out.

Might I suggest you use tiles or linoleum on the floor? would make for easy cleaning and would hold up longer then painted wood... Be sure to use water based paint or if using oil based please give LOTS of time to air out... Or you could also if you find a linoleum that looks alright use it on the walls too? maybe.

Oh and one more thing..

We need pictures!!!
    3.2 T.Marcianus, 1.2 T.Sirtalis, 1.0 Zacapu, 1.0 T.Radix
    0.1 Banana Cali King Snake
    0.1 BoxerXRottie Mutt

Hi, I'm New Here!

I was planning on linoleum flooring for the bottom. I have been using it succesfully for my beardies and leopard geckos and figure even if I put aspen or mulch on top it'll still be easier to clean. I could do flexwatt under the linoleum and just put a flouro tube on the ceiling of the enclosure. I was more hoping someone could give me a link to a site showing how to make a door for the front. I was thinking of doing plexi with some holes in it, and cutting a hole on the side or back of the cage and putting a vent in for additional ventilation. Pics will be forthcoming.

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

I would still put substrate on top of it.. Not really sure but I think it's better if they a substrate based floor rather then something smooth and hard.

This is an e-book w/great info. How to build enclosures for reptiles - custom snake cages - arboreal snake cages - snake keeping cage info - homemade reptile cages I got it and have been building a new 4x2x2 snake cage, and havin' a blast doing so.
    Mona (T.S. sirtalis) Melanistic
    Fiona (T.S similis) Normal