"Preparing For First shed" norcalj's Avatar

Deworming a wildcaught?

Would you guys recommend deworming for a wildcaught snake even if it appears outwardly to be healthy? Are there any possible side effects to giving a snake meds if it isn't harboring anything?

Re: Deworming a wildcaught?

There is always a risk giving meds but the risk is lower with this type of med as long as the proper amount is given.
    Have a fecal float done first, you may not have to give any meds.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Banned

Re: Deworming a wildcaught?

Quote Originally Posted by norcalj View Post
    Would you guys recommend deworming for a wildcaught snake even if it appears outwardly to be healthy? Are there any possible side effects to giving a snake meds if it isn't harboring anything?
    I always do, and I always see some sign of parasites coming out when I do. And BTW, even at a safe dose, it's a fine line between what is safe, and what will be effective. It's hard on them but they get through it and are much better off in the long term. Because it's hard on them (it's poison after all) , waiting until there are health issues exacerbated by parasites, is not the thing to do. You want to deworm them when they are healthy and good shape. If they're showing problems on the outside, then they are already in significant decline and you risk losing the snake by medicating them.

On a side note, a healthy garter can live with a modest parasite load it's entire life and live a full life and be just fine. The problem with carrying a parasite load is mainly dependant on the type of parasite and the overall health of the snake. Many parasites rarely cause any health problems by themselves but can later contribute to the poor health of the snake if it is fighting an infection or it's immune system is otherwise stressed. When that is the case, a parasite-free snake has a much better chance of recovering, than one with a heavy parasite load.

If it's too expensive or otherwise impractical, I would just not worry about it. Like I said, they can live with them.