Dust free substrate

Trixie Beech Chaff - Natural terrarium substrate It also goes by Habi Chip bedding. Any one try this?? Or have other suggestions? I'm looking for dust free substrate that Zena and Cleo can burrow in. I'm not worried about them ingesting this since they eat while in their hammocks, or on top of their tanks.
    Mona (T.S. sirtalis) Melanistic
    Fiona (T.S similis) Normal

Re: Dust free substrate

Have you tried sani chips? A couple pet stores near me carry a shredded paper bedding. I'd imagine it's dust free. I'll tell you what I won't be using. I was experimenting with alfalfa pellets. It's dusty and when the snakes poo on it, it crumbles.

So, back to cypress mulch for me.
    mike

The only things I've tried are aspen, carefresh and ultra carefresh. I hope to find something at the show this weekend. Since my snake kids consist of 2 w/a possible third, which will put me to my limit, price really doesn't matter. That is as long as I can keep it under $30 a week.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Light of Dae's Avatar

I'd say try a small bag, see if you like it, see if your snakes like it. I have been using shredded paper... Colored Crinkle Cut, its made by care fresh... I like the look of it, snakes like going through it, but it isn't easy to spot clean n the instant they make a mess you can smell it.

Try a couple different substrates n see what works.
    3.2 T.Marcianus, 1.2 T.Sirtalis, 1.0 Zacapu, 1.0 T.Radix
    0.1 Banana Cali King Snake
    0.1 BoxerXRottie Mutt

Now that I've found the best substrate for my girls I was having a hard time finding it. Sani-Chips are AWESOME. Almost dust free and Zena LOVES to burrow through this stuff. She no longer wheezes, it clumps kinda like cat litter and looks great in the tank. So calling around today, my local Pet Supplies Plus can order this for me, $3.50 for a 5 qtr bag. I have no idea how big a 5 qtr bag is so I got 7 which will be here Friday. Yippy for me.

I use Repti-Bark (Zoomed, I think). Looks very natural, very low dust, no strong odor. I didn't think they'd be able to burrow in it but they do! It supposedly lasts 6-12 months. You just take it out every 2 months or so and give it a nice long soak in warm water, let dry, and put back in. I want to say it was around $15 for an 8 qt bag? So extremly cost efficient. I was able to do a fairly deep layer in two ten gal's and a five gal.
    11 T. elegans vagrans, 2 T. sirtalis concinnus

I looked at this, it says "fir" tree. My questions is what kind of fir is it? Unless I know exactly what it is I'm not going to put it in with my girls. Beside, Zena seems to love this stuff, and the fact that is clumps like cat litter is awesome for spot cleaning.
    Quote Originally Posted by MCwyo View Post
    I use Repti-Bark (Zoomed, I think). Looks very natural, very low dust, no strong odor. I didn't think they'd be able to burrow in it but they do! It supposedly lasts 6-12 months. You just take it out every 2 months or so and give it a nice long soak in warm water, let dry, and put back in. I want to say it was around $15 for an 8 qt bag? So extremly cost efficient. I was able to do a fairly deep layer in two ten gal's and a five gal.